Help me lead a pack of nightriders

mattt

Sep 27, 2003
I've been pretty big into cycling for almost a year now, and just recently many of my friends have gotten into their bikes. Not like me though, I train to race (haven't raced yet) and they're using their bikes so they can get drunk and get places without having to drive. Now our rides won't always have to do with getting drunk, but the point is... there are a good 15 inexperienced, out of shape riders riding at night, and I'm pretty much the only one who knows how to ride with a degree of proficiency, so I'm in charge of leading this pack of nutcases around at night and so far I've done pretty well, but we just started this late night riding nonsense (summer just started :)) so I've gotta lay down some rules for everyone, safety precautions and all, so we don't get in more trouble than we've been in so far.

We had a pretty intense encounter last night that involved a crazy guy who pulled a knife out on us, after stopping in the middle of the road and pushing someone off their bike... oh, and six cop cars. So that was fun, but it could've gotten dirty, so hopefully introducing some rules can minimize situations like that.

So basically, I want to introduce some order into our makeshift team (Metal Pedaler's :p) so we can survive the summer without too many accidents.

Anybody got any ideas, or good links to where I can find some tips on how to lead a bunch of kids on bikes in the dark?

Thanks

edit: Oh and yes, I'm well aware that drinking and riding bikes isn't the safest thing to do in the world, but it's better than drinking and driving where you're a threat to people other than yourself.