Help me outfit my new Roubaix

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by MotownBikeBoy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. MotownBikeBoy

MotownBikeBoy Active Member

I tend to put every possible gadget, tool, and piece of equipment on my bikes that I can.

I know this approach doesn't work on a road bike.

So, help me pare it down to the essentials.

I know I will need lights (I ride mostly at night), a few basic repair tools, a cage and water bottle. What else will I really need?

In the "want" category, I bought a video camera to mount on the handlebars.

I know, with a road bike, less is more, the goal is to minimize the weight and the drag. I don't do minimal well.

Tags:

2. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

How about few sections of pave? ;)

Kudos on the vid cam.

3. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Hmmm

A saddle bag with:

-a spare tube
    -a CO2 inflator + catridge
    -a tire lever

Optional:

-a tube patch kit
    -a second CO2 catridge

2 bottle cages

2 bottles (preferably insulated)

Lights:

-Something with at least 1 watt on the front with a narrow beam + flat discharge curve batteries like "Recyko" or "Eneloop" unless you allready got more powerful lights with a separate battery unit.

-A very annoying rear light with at least a 0.5watt led. "Smart" makes some of those.

Visibility:

Clothes with reflective surfaces
    Tires with reflective sidewalls (these add -alot- of visibility)

Clothes:

A nice road helmet. Specialized ones apparently pass also the bit more strict "Snell 90" or something standard.

etc...

Got any pics of the Roubaix??? [​IMG]

4. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Good choices. Though I'd add a small pump in case you run out of CO2.

5. MotownBikeBoy

No pics of the bike, because it has no physical existence on my end, it exists as an order somewhere in Specialized's dealer supply pipeline. It may have a physical existence as an assembled bike or just as components. I'm not taking delivery until March.

6. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy .

No pics of the bike, because it has no physical existence on my end, it exists as an order somewhere in Specialized's dealer supply pipeline. It may have a physical existence as an assembled bike or just as components. I'm not taking delivery until March.
    Spooky! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

I was at a shop today and saw some mini pumps that allow you to screw in a CO2 catridge, thought that was a nifty idea.

8. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

In addition to a pump, add a Presta-to-Schrader conversion nut. Just in case you run out of CO2 AND your pump fails!

Yeah, it may be paranoid, but it takes up almost zero space/weight and adds the option of using automotive pumps and compressors.

9. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Actually if there is a pump small enough to fit on the seat bag or back jersey pocket maybe there is no need for the CO2 catridges and pump...

My last flat was a 27 euro one...

I had the flat about 10km from home and:

1 x ruined tube = 5 euro
    1 x replacement tube = 5 euro
    1 x 16g CO2 catridge = 3 euro

The catridge shredded the new tube when inflating...

1 x taxi ride home = 6 euro

1 x new CO2 catridge = 3 euro
    1 x new tube = 5 euro

Total to get back were I started = 27euro... [​IMG]

...and I changed the damn tube in the cold... [​IMG]

10. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

I would go with the combo. Takes about 1000 pumps to get rideable pressure in the tire with some of the mini's. Also if needing to replace the entire inner tube the mini helps get it plump enough to seat properly on the rim bed, before using the CO2 cartridge.

Small enough?
    [​IMG]

11. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

I have the carbon fiber (what else?) version of that Topeak pump, Dan. The Micro Rocket CB (CampyBob?).

300 strokes (give or take) gets me to about 70 PSI (alien calibrated thumb!).

Another 1000 strokes gets me up to...72 PSI!

It did save a guy that was riding with us. He had three flats and was burning thru our spare tubes and air like candy.

Volnix, To hell with a cab.
    1. Call a hooker!
    2. Push bike home with a smile.
    3. Profit?

12. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Thats the smallest one I seen (I was actually thinking about this one):

Cyclaire mini pump:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cyclaire-plus-mini-pump-prod22541/

[​IMG]

Its got a gauge and everything and it goes up to 120psi... You attach it to the tube and then you pull a cord that actuates a compressor inside the pump... Looks like a kinda fragile mechanism though and it says that it might "get hot during operation"... [​IMG] But I think its easier to inflate a tire then a mini pump (even a double action one) and it will probably fit in a saddle bag. It might be heavier though...

13. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

A similarly to Yolandi Vi$$er styled hooker for all my tube inflating fantasies!!! [​IMG]

But I had the flat on a very central location, I would probably need to call an e-s-c-o-r-t... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Here's some more info on the Cyclaire mini pump: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/mini-pump/product/review-cyclaire-plus-23219/

Looks like mixed reviews.

Re: Yolandi... you wish.

15. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Indeed... [​IMG]

I was walking once in the bordello district of my fantastic city when I was 17 with a couple of tosser-schoolmates... A woman approached a friend of mine and she told him that she is in the "Tube inflating business" and that he could had his tube inflated by these gorgeous 20yo girls...

He went to the "Tube inflating palace" and she told him to sit on a table. She got a bottle of scotch and put a glass for her. After a while she told him that he bought half a bottle of scotch and that he owned them 40 euro. [​IMG]

He said "But..." and then "Boris" the "Tube inflation palace security guard" told him that he could just pay up and nobody's tube would get flat... [​IMG]

He paid up and left...

But even these e-s-c-o-r-t type tube inflators dont guarantee that they will actually inflate your tube... [​IMG]

16. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Look at Volnix, the fucking bigot. No doubt Volnix lacks the balls to walk up to a black person and say that, but as is well known, bigots are fucking cowards. Volnix's choice of lingo and the racist thoughts that come up with what he posts might very well be the reason why he's unemployed. Some people deserve what they get, so Volnix, unemployment could very well be your just deserts. Life's a bitch, and yours is fucking you in the ass. I hope you lubed up.

17. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

18. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What's that? Do you have something to say cowardly bigot? Maybe it'll be something other than the typical stuff that always confirms your idiocy. You'd think with all the unemployed time on your side, you'd do something to actually gain some knowledge, something that would elevate yourself above the other racist scum you hang out with. Coward.

19. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

20. MotownBikeBoy

I am definitely a fan of CO2 inflators, just fast and easy.