Help me please all you IT Guru's

G

I thought maybe some of you It gurus out there could help me. My email program Outlook express 5 takes ages to load for some reason,this is what iv done

ran scandisk,defrag
norton antivirus
windows file coruption checker program
installed new Outlook express 6

still takes ages to load. I dont want to reinstall windows :(
local guru has not heard of this but can you help?

How much email do you have sitting in you inbox. Perhaps try deleting some old mail.

i only have 4 messages in the inbox and about 150 in other boxes. this is nothin as i have a p3 1.2ghz and plenty of gigs to spare.

OE is a POP3 mail client, which means that it doesn't leave messages on the POP3 server (unless you explicitly tell it to do so). What this means is that those 150 messages, together with their attachments (if any), have been 'downloaded' to your machine. Do as Ouzo suggested, and start by saving all large attachments to the HDD and then clean out the mailbox, including 'Sent Items'.
When you say it takes ages to load, do you mean to connect to the server or to open the program?

I mean to Open the Program. I used to have 1000 messages in the deleted items a while ago and it was still quick to start so thats not it...looks like ill be reloading windows :mad: :mad: windows always seems to have a problem and needs reloading after a while. :mad:

Disable NAV just as a test and try again.
If all else fails, why not just re-install IE6 completely?

Check your synchronization settings...

Your mail may be trying to synchronize everything from your delete mail box to your inbox and junk mail every time you open it. Uncheck some of those options, if you don't need them.

Also, I have my Outlook Express accessing my hotmail account. I have problems when their servers are loaded up at hotmail. It is probably not an Outlook mail issue. But, it is probably more a server capacity issue on where your mail resides and therefore, there is nothing you can do about it, except try to keep the synchonization on your files down to a minimum. And, keep your inbox at a minimum, as well.

Go under Tools/Accounts and see if these accounts are still valid ones. Maybe OE is trying to get emails from invalid accounts.

I have ie6 installed and loads of mail stored in many folders.

I too had this problem and solved it by using the compact folders option under file/folder/compact all folders.

This sorted my opening outlook by loads.

Hope this helps.

An easy solution for the IT challenged.

Open your vx folder, and delete any non POP3 accounts. If your browser asks you to confirm, check 'yes' and ensure your AT3 settings are set to no.

Then open the TYP.exe file in your program folder, and run the default settings. Make sure any programs are closed before running this. This should fix the problem, but if all else fails, try rebooting your macro settings and go for a long walk.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Blimp
An easy solution for the IT challenged.

Open your vx folder, and delete any non POP3 accounts. If your browser asks you to confirm, check 'yes' and ensure your AT3 settings are set to no.

Then open the TYP.exe file in your program folder, and run the default settings. Make sure any programs are closed before running this. This should fix the problem, but if all else fails, try rebooting your macro settings and go for a long walk.

Good luck.

WTF? :confused: