Help Me ride the Stelvio Pass

teetopkram

Jan 27, 2006
Hi to all -

My family is staying in Bolzano, Italy, for a couple of days this summer, and I have received permission from the wife to take a whole day to myself to drive to Prato and ride a road bike up the Stelvio Pass. I won't be able to use my own road bike, but it is possible to ship my kits, cleats, and helmet over there. My question is, can anyone direct me or help me find out where I might go to rent a road bike for this purpose? Are there road bike rental places in various areas? Any advice on bike rental or the climb?

Thanks

Mark

teetopkram said:
Hi to all -

My family is staying in Bolzano, Italy, for a couple of days this summer, and I have received permission from the wife to take a whole day to myself to drive to Prato and ride a road bike up the Stelvio Pass. I won't be able to use my own road bike, but it is possible to ship my kits, cleats, and helmet over there. My question is, can anyone direct me or help me find out where I might go to rent a road bike for this purpose? Are there road bike rental places in various areas? Any advice on bike rental or the climb?

Thanks

Mark

Good luck! I have ridden that pass several times . . . . on a motorcycle. I can't imagine doing it on a bike. (But I'm 60 years old and not much of a climber anyway. :eek: )

I road down the Gross Glockner Pass (also on a motorcycle) and got into a race with a bicycle. He would pass me in the curves and I would pass him on the straights. It was a hoot. When we got to the bottom we both stopped at an outdoor cafe. I walked over and shook his hand.

I know that none of the above will be of much help but I can say that you will have a great time and the views can't be beat.

Here are some links to places that rent bikes in Italy:

http://www.bikerentalsplus.com/?gclid=CIz3t7yv1owCFRNyZQodFCfytQ

http://wikitravel.org/en/Bolzano

By bike
In Italy the city has one of the most developed bike trail system with about 30km composed by 8 main trails. Guided tours are available. Maps are available in tourist offices and online

Rentals are available in the following places:

• Station avenue (Bahnhofsallee/viale Stazione) closed to the Walther square
  • main square of Gries
The service is available from 4 April until 31 October 7:30am-8pm (October until 7pm) and it's very cheap: €1 for 6 hours, €2 for more than 6 hours. On bail: €10.

Bike rental around the year also at Bolzano Tourist Board for EUR 5.00 a day.