Help me select a basic bike computer please

hy_tek

Banned
Sep 24, 2007
I am what I would describe as a recreational biker. I own a cross bike and do mainly 20-30 mile weekend trips with my wife on groomed paths.

I want to get a basic bike computer that just has speed, distance, clock, and a the normal things. While I want the best bang for the buck unit, reliability is the primary condition. I really don't need anything fancy just reliable and easy to use with hopefully big numbers. Would like to stay under $30

I have done some research and now I am overwhelmed by the sheer volume of computers on the market. Can anyone who owns such a unit recommend it to me?

All suggestions will be appreciated...:)

I like cateye b/c they're made incredibly well, and I've had nothing but good experiances with them. I also prefer wired, with a rear wheel sensor (although I don't know if you can get that w/o having cadance as well), as it looks a lot cleaner, and you can't really see the sensors in the back.

Just about every cycling computer on the market will give you the information you want. Find one that has the information displayed at the size you'd like it, and go with that one. You can choose between bar and stem mount (some mount on both), wired or wireless, all information on the screen at the same time, or one at a time.

Wow! thank you gentleman for the suggestions. I realize that there are many units with the basic things I want. That is the problem there are TOO many of them.

Any more suggestions? :)

tiggere said:
This is what I use...

http://www.k3pgp.org/schwinnmanual.htm

simple...to the point...works...mileage seems to be pretty darn accurate...and best of all...$9.99 at Wal-Mart
+1 They work as well as any. I would stick with the wired rather than the wireless ones. Just make sure you get the right code in it for your wheel and tire size but that gos for any of them.
Wink

I have one of these on my old MTB. I bought it at Wally World about five years ago for $9.00. It has survived many rides when I ended up going where the trail didn't, so it is rugged. The first battery lasted me over three years of twice a week use. If you want basic and dependable, this is it.

kdelong said:
I have one of these on my old MTB. I bought it at Wally World about five years ago for $9.00. It has survived many rides when I ended up going where the trail didn't, so it is rugged. The first battery lasted me over three years of twice a week use. If you want basic and dependable, this is it.
I thank you for the response but you failed to tell me exactly what "one of these" on your bike actually is...:confused: At $9 I am thinking you meant the Schwinn but I really don't know. I read some people saying the Schwinn computers were cheap and inaccurate but then again many swear by them so I don't know which is more accurate.

threaded said:
Cateye Astrale 8
Cateye Mity 8. Inexpensive, wired, reliable, easy to set up and use. Extra magnets are easy to find. Uses a standard lithium coin cell. I noted on another thread that I just replaced my 15+ year old Cateye with a new Mity 8. It fits in the same mounting bracket, so no installation was required this time but in any case the installation is easy.

-som

I noticed a lot of people recommend the Schwinn computers as cheap and they work good enough. There are 2 different ones. One with 17 functions and one with 12. Is either one of them a better bet since they are both about $10 online in cost or should I stay away from them?

Funny thing it says it has 17 functions but I have yet to find a site that lists what they are!

hy_tek said:
I noticed a lot of people recommend the Schwinn computers as cheap and they work good enough. There are 2 different ones. One with 17 functions and one with 12. Is either one of them a better bet since they are both about $10 online in cost or should I stay away from them?

Funny thing it says it has 17 functions but I have yet to find a site that lists what they are!
This, http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/accessories_detail.php?id=53, plus 5 other functions.

It's only $10, live on the edge and make an impulse buy.

hy_tek said:
Funny thing about me...I would rather just give someone $10 than throw away $10 on some useless product...but hey that's me.... (now don't you ask me for 10 bucks smart ass...:)...just kidding )
I typically ponder purchase decisions until I'm blue in the face. But then sometimes I have to tell myself, spending a few hours of my time researching a $10-20 product is just plain silly. My time lost "researching" means more to me than the price of the product itself.

Scotty_Dog said:
I typically ponder purchase decisions until I'm blue in the face. But then sometimes I have to tell myself, spending a few hours of my time researching a $10-20 product is just plain silly. My time lost "researching" means more to me than the price of the product itself.
Ah but Scotty 'ole boi.....what about the excitement of the hunt?.....why do you think Ebay is so popular?....People pay more than list price many times just because they get caught up in the excitement of the dealing process ( not too bright people I might add) ;)

I understand your point however and you are probably right our time is worth something but unlike you I rather enjoy researching products. To me making an informed purchase after you have done your homework is just plain satisfying. The purchase price is not the issue for me. As for me personally.....time I have in abundance....

I have gotten way off topic here and I do apologize now back to cyclocomputer suggestions.....

hy_tek said:
I thank you for the response but you failed to tell me exactly what "one of these" on your bike actually is...:confused: At $9 I am thinking you meant the Schwinn but I really don't know. I read some people saying the Schwinn computers were cheap and inaccurate but then again many swear by them so I don't know which is more accurate.
Sorry, I didn't read all the posts. I just saw that someone was talking about the Schwinn. That is the one that I have. I have not had any problems with accuracy, so what if it says that I am going a tenth of a mile an hour slower than actual. You were asking for something basic, and it is basic and inexpensive. FWIW, this is the same computer as the Ascent Delta V Cyclocomputer except it is wired and branded Schwinn. Last time I checked, Ascent was a fairly well respected Cycling Accessory Company, so the accuracy should not really come into question.

som5 said:
Cateye Mity 8. Inexpensive, wired, reliable, easy to set up and use. Extra magnets are easy to find. Uses a standard lithium coin cell. I noted on another thread that I just replaced my 15+ year old Cateye with a new Mity 8. It fits in the same mounting bracket, so no installation was required this time but in any case the installation is easy.

-som
+1 for the Mity 8. Proven Cateye quality. Simple, cheap ($30 or less), and great battery life. Mine's been going for over 3 years and 15K miles now on the original battery.

A buddy who's cheaper than me bought the Wal-Mart Schwinn. It works, but he's had some "dropouts" and seems to have problems with it from time to time when I ask him what mileage he got on for the day's ride. In his case, could well be operator error.