Help me select a new road bike

amazinmets73

Aug 11, 2010
26 year old male in the Philadelphia area. Currently riding a 1970s road bike and looking to upgrade. Do not drive, bike will be means of transportation. Max budget is 700, maybe 800, but I'd have to find a sick deal to break the bank. I do not want a commuter bike, I want a light, fast road bike that I can ride long distances. Given my budget I've been operating on the assumption that a used bike is my best option, and browsing craigslist,but I'm obviously open to a new bike. Any suggestions? Especially sites other than craigslist where I can find a used bike I am 5-11.5 (true barefoot height) and 165 pounds. Ride a 58CM right now

Craigslist and eBay. I prefer Craigslist and buying in person (take a gun, meet in public). "Trek", for some reason, seems to be a good search word for dredging up better quality bikes of all makes.

Originally Posted by amazinmets73

Do not drive, bike will be means of transportation. Max budget is 700, maybe 800, but I'd have to find a sick deal to break the bank. I do not want a commuter bike, I want a light, fast road bike that I can ride long distances.

Given my budget I've been operating on the assumption that a used bike is my best option, and browsing craigslist,but I'm obviously open to a new bike.
Maybe something like this? :

Tricross Alu Disc:

Tricross Steel (Reynolds Cro-Mo) Disk:

Both of these would make excellent commuters and they also have rack fittings. They cost around 1000 new. They are 2013 models so now with the 2014 models out there might be some NOS ones left for around 800. Or around 500 or less for used. The steel one is probably a better deal used. Aluminium doesn’t have such as good fatigue damage resistance as steel they say...

Similar bikes are also made by Trek, Fuji and some other manufacturers.

These are metal frame Cyclocross bikes. For long distance cycling road bikes you might also wanna check some "endurance" bikes like the Specialized Secteur and if those come with disk brakes or rack fittings.

Good luck.
smile.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
(take a gun, meet in public).

Reminder to self: When in the US, buy everything new from shops...
big-smile.png

I am 5-11.5 (true barefoot height) and 165 pounds. Ride a 58CM right now
If your '70s bike is a 58, you might want to size down on your new ride. Top tubes got longer around the end of the '80s, and many head tubes got taller over the last few years.

I indeed will get a 56cm. What's the opinion on used carbon bikes? Heard it's a bad idea because it's so easy to hide structural damage

No way in Hades would I buy used carbon. I've already had a brand new one break under me and it was only a little better than a season old.

Used, unless it came with an iron clad warranty and was a screaming deal...bad idea IMO. As always, YMMV.

I indeed will get a 56cm. What's the opinion on used carbon bikes? Heard it's a bad idea because it's so easy to hide structural damage
Not only can the damage be hidden, it can also be visible only under a microscope.

I might consider a used carbon frame, but only if I knew its history, only if it didn't have too many miles on it, only if it was by a brand in which I have strong confidence, and only if the price is really right.

I found a 2013 Cannondale CAAD10. Guy says he wants 1,200 firm
Is it a high end component CAAD10? Because the base model starts at around 1000USD and its not with too bad components, I think its Shimano 105 but not sure. Cannondale's website should have more info on that.

Apparently used bikes cost around half the price they costed when new. So this 1200 bike should cost around 2400 when new.

Considering the wheels aren't used I say it's a good deal. All the review I've found of the bike have been good

Volnix said:
Is it a high end component CAAD10? Because the base model starts around 1000USD
The bottom of the barrel CAAD10 retails for close to 1700. And actual purchase price could be significantly over that for many considering sales tax can be up to 5-10%. Would be around 1800 for a new one in my parts w/105. Bare frames seem to retail on eBay for between 900-1200.

Originally Posted by danfoz

The bottom of the barrel CAAD10 retails for close to 1700. And actual purchase price could be significantly over that for many considering sales tax can be up to 5-10%. Would be around 1800 for a new one in my parts w/105.

Bare frames seem to retail on eBay for between 900-1200.
Hmmm was that so for the 2013 ones too? Because I was considering a CAAD10 and I remember the shop telling me that it was around 1100EUR. Which I suppose would be around 1100USD there since the Allez which I got in the end was 770USD there and 770EUR here...

Volnix said:
Hmmm was that so for the 2013 ones too?
Those might have been a little cheaper and I know different countries get different prices from manufacturers - E.g. I am looking at a pair of Assos spring knickers based on the excellent quality and fit of the 607's I just picked up. Even with the recent price drop from dealers to make room for the new S7 stuff the price is about 269. I can get the same pair w/free shipping from one UK dealer for under 200USD, and another for 215.

A 2104 CAAD10-3 has an MSRP of $2270 It would probably sell in the $1900 range. Used...$1000-$1200 is a reasonable price for a 2013 model in EXCELLENT condition. If it fits and you like the ride, it's a worthy bike to consider.

You might be a little high for MY market. That would be a hard sell at $150 in my area.

Your area have a more robust market due to population density if nothing else. Compare your price to comparable bikes that are actually selling (not just advertised) in your area. If you see that same bike on Craigslist day after day, week after week...you can figure it is over-priced. Your ad will show the same indicator on a smaller scale. Let it run and reduce the price towards your low-end take in a week or two if it doesn't move.

The frame is interesting and V-GT stuff has a small market for its collectibility. Chrome lugs, stays and fork blades indicate decent tubing was used...any decal that shows the tubeset description would be nice to put in your ad. A quick clean and polish might help.