Help me spend my money.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pulse, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Pulse

Pulse New Member

Hi all,
    Summer is around the corner (Aust.) Yay!
    And I'm thinking about upgrading afew things on my Road bike.

Thinking about upgrading:
    - Helmet ~4years old Trek Sonic
    - Entry level Mt.bike pedals (shimano)and shoes
    - Cycling clothes

Some background:
    Avanti Monza '04 bike - Used as daily (4km)commuter during Uni Semester & recreational bike during weekend and summer holidays(~70km). Pretty much all round bike.

Thinking about buying:
    - Giro Atmos or similar. It's expensive and unnecessary I know. But I honestly do like the styling of it. If you can convince me of a cool-looking/cheaper helmet, by all means. Currently eyeing off a helmet on ebay for ~$200AUD
    - Pedals - Not to sure, But something cheap (but reliable) and has to be road pedals. Might keep the current shoes for the time being.
    (Currently riding to uni with mt. clip pedals and there isn't a lot of surface area. considering I wear sneakers when cycling to uni. - they're destroying my shoes and my feets)
    - Clothing - Anyone know some good Brands I can google/buy online? I'm not into the fancy logos and colours. Just something simple and plain.

Budget? Not something over the top (double standard considering the helmet, I know) probably around the $500AUD, $334USD, $260 Euro area

I'm posting so I can get some constructive criticism. =) If you think what i'm buying is unnecessary - by all means tell me[​IMG]

Tags:

2. youhaditcoming

youhaditcoming New Member

3. kleng

kleng New Member

4. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I would love to help you spend your money! Just PM me and I will tell you where to send it!:D

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Have you considered a Spongy Wonder?

6. Ag2rcycling

Ag2rcycling New Member

i u want road bike pedals get the Look keo classics thery are the best pedals out there but they cost around £40 and also if u live near a decatlon they have a good load of clothes shoes and helmets.

7. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

The simplest and plainest 100% polyester jersey to buy, and still works as good as far more expensive 100% polyester bike boutique jerseys are at Walmart! $12 or so gets you jersey that works just as well as $100 ones, except the Walmart one doesn't come with the pocket in the back. Shorts (including jerseys if don't believe a Walmart one works as well but they do, or simply don't want to be seen in one) and shoes can be found on sale at various on line bicycle stores including this one: Performance Bicycle - Bikes, bike accessories, bike gear, cycling equipment, cycling apparel, and more Just shop the web for the best prices including Amazon, but don't go too cheap with shorts or you'll pay for it in the ashe.

Pedals, a good place to start is: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1276946358/ref=sr_st?keywords=bicycle+clipless+pedals&page=1&bbn=3375251&rh=n:3375251,n:!3375301,k:bicycle+clipless+pedals&sort=price]Amazon.com: bicycle clipless pedals: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Helmet though is a whole different beast. You need to try on different helmets to make sure they fit properly because a improperly fitting helmet is dangerous. The best way to determine proper fit is to wear the helmet and adjust the straps, then slap the side of the helmet to see it will slide around on the head, if it slides around like it wants to come off but only the straps will keep it on REJECT the helmet and buy one that only will move slightly. Then will the helmet rock back more than two fingers above the eyebrows? If so, unbuckle, shorten the front strap, buckle, retighten the chin strap, and test again. Once you find the right fitting helmet then you can either buy it at the LBS (I would since I used them to try on various helmets) or leave and go on line to find the same helmet for cheaper price.