Help me understand fixies

JTE83 said:
After riding it top speed is around 21 mph so single speeds suck for speed because you can't gear higher. And then they are slow to accelerate.

That's cause you're a putz.

I regularly race a FG on the track, and max out in the mid 60's (km/h), or accelerate from a standing start to just under 60km/h in around 150 meters or 14 or so seconds give or take, and I'd hardly get a hard on over my ability on the track, I get smashed week in week out.

One of the kids who is 15, serves us all up riding I think it's 82 GI.

swampy1970 said:
42x16 at 21mph is no more than 110rpm...
... the verdict again is unanimous.You SUCK.

42x16 should accelerate like a rocket. Stop blaming the bike.

You bought a nearly new bike that retails for over $700 for an experiment? Did mommy pay for it?

No, you and Alienator suck... That's an estimated speed from memory because I just ride that bike with slippers on and I tried for some speed but I remember being disappointed. Single speed / fixies are SLOW bikes and they do suck based on my experience of 7 road bikes. And my top speed ever was 32.9 mph on my Ksyrium SL AL Cervelo Soloist Team in the flats no wind.

I bought the Specialized Langster with my unemployment benefits, and it was an experiment in single speed / fixie bikes just to have firsthand experience in them.

I do cool enough bmx tricks at the Chicago Lakefront skateparks and the kids say I'm good enough but the guys who are really good practice 2 + hrs a day every day.

ruariatp said:
It's fairly common for road racers to spend some time training like this in the off season.
yes but inside a velodrome !

Ok yeah that is more common, but doesn't mean you should write off riding fixed on the road!