Help. My chain comes off

boyd

Feb 12, 2005
I was in a Run/bike/run race last weekend and finished 52 of 160 but could have done much better if my chain hadn't come off twice. It's a new bike and I'm a new biker. Is it me or the bike. Here's what happened. First, I was in my middle front ring and about the middle of the rear (cog?). I started up a hill and knew I would be needing my small ring so shifting from the middle to the small under a little pressure it came off. Then a second time, this time I was in my big ring and wanted to shift to the mid. ring. I shifted one time and it didn't go to the mid. ring, I peddled about 3 revolutions and shifted again, and the chain went to the small ring. This happens every so often. I'd appreciate your advice or reccommendation.
BOYD

boyd said:
I was in a Run/bike/run race last weekend and finished 52 of 160 but could have done much better if my chain hadn't come off twice. It's a new bike and I'm a new biker. Is it me or the bike. Here's what happened. First, I was in my middle front ring and about the middle of the rear (cog?). I started up a hill and knew I would be needing my small ring so shifting from the middle to the small under a little pressure it came off. Then a second time, this time I was in my big ring and wanted to shift to the mid. ring. I shifted one time and it didn't go to the mid. ring, I peddled about 3 revolutions and shifted again, and the chain went to the small ring. This happens every so often. I'd appreciate your advice or reccommendation.
BOYD
Adjust the FD. What in heavens name are you doing racing on a triple?

I've been a runnner for years and last year started to swim. So ... at the end of last year I did a sprint tri. I loved it, I did it on a Wal.Mart Huffy bike. So, this winter I went to a bike shop and asked for help. I left with a 2005 Specialized Multisport bike. Shimano 105, Aero bars etc.... I took his advice. What kind would you advise? Then back to my original question.

boyd said:
I've been a runnner for years and last year started to swim. So ... at the end of last year I did a sprint tri. I loved it, I did it on a Wal.Mart Huffy bike. So, this winter I went to a bike shop and asked for help. I left with a 2005 Specialized Multisport bike. Shimano 105, Aero bars etc.... I took his advice. What kind would you advise? Then back to my original question.
Your bike shop was right. Some of the more insecure types seem to have a problem with other people riding on tripples. For the level you're competing at, it's perfectly appropriate. Back to your question, it's just an issue of front derailleur adjustment. If you take it to the shop where you bought it, they should have it sorted out in a few minutes.

artmichalek said:
Back to your question, it's just an issue of front derailleur adjustment. If you take it to the shop where you bought it, they should have it sorted out in a few minutes.
Unfortunately, some LBS hacks never can get one right.

I just called the bike shop. He told me that I may not be shifting my left handle far enough. He said there is actually a small area between the big and medium sprocket and I may be shifting too softly and getting into this mid. area, then when I shift again it goes to the small ring. Does this sound right?

boyd said:
I just called the bike shop. He told me that I may not be shifting my left handle far enough. He said there is actually a small area between the big and medium sprocket and I may be shifting too softly and getting into this mid. area, then when I shift again it goes to the small ring. Does this sound right?
Yeah, it's a good idea to know how to use the shifters. The have a light trim click that moves the FD a bit to quiet chain rub,but doesn't shift the chain on or off the rings. Don't think there is one for the big ring when used with a triple tho.But if the derailer isn't adjusted right it still work work as intended.

Taking it to the LBS might be overkill... if you can turn a screwdriver you can fix it yourself. See www.parktool.com and the run-down on FD adjustments. Pretty simple stuff. ;)