Help! My Knee is killing me.

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by dlhind, Sep 13, 2004.

1. dlhind

dlhind New Member

Hello all! After 5 years of pretty regular mountain bike riding, I have made the switch to road riding. I have been going along nicely for about a month now (I'm riding 30-40 miles on a regular basis now) and on the last two rides I have noticed pretty nasty pain down the right side of my right knee and directly in the back of it as well. The bike was custom fit so I don't think it's something with the seat height, but you never know. I was wondering if this was a common issue or something specific that happens. I have never had this problem with the mtb.
    Thanks!!

Tags:

2. Jene

Jene New Member

i had that!!! same problem, well kinda.......from swimming / running bout 10 ish times a week i swapped to 5 hours swim/ run n 5 hours cycling....n after a couple of weeks i had problems in my knees, wore supports on both knees for bout 2 months and dont use them nemore....think its adjusting to riding....but least ways, riding with a support should help..maybe

3. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

I had that yesterday on the last leg of a century. Right on the right side of my right knee. The only way I could get through it was with a very even stroke, and being very careful how my knee was tracking, but it was aching pretty good after the ride. I think it has something to do with sloppy stroke, and the tendons and stuff that support your knees.

4. denisegoldberg

denisegoldberg New Member

How long ago did you have the bike fit? It might be worth a check again on both the seat height and the position forward and back.

Do you spin when you pedal, or do you only push down?

What pedal/shoe system are you using? Is it something that allows your foot to float, or is it fixed in place? If fixed, maybe your leg is being held in an unnatural position. I use mountain bike pedals on my road bikes because I like the recessed cleats, and my choice of pedals is Speedplay's Frog because it is a totally free-float system, allowing my feet to be in the position they want to be in rather than being locked into a specific position.

In spite of being careful, injuries still happen. I had a knee problem at the end of the season many years ago, and the only thing I can attribute it to was jumping from my normal flat to rolling terrain to biking for a week in the mountains of Vermont. My seat positioning was correct, but due to the change in terrain I suffered an injury. I ended up seeing an orthopedic doc who prescribed anti-inflammatories and physical therapy, and recommended staying off the bike until it was OKed by the physical therapist. Luckily for me the injury happened at the end of the nice weather season...

I'm sending good wishes your way!