HELP!!!! my new avid disc sucks!

King Fisher

Sep 11, 2004
Please help me, I just bought a brand new avid mechanical disc brake. I installed it myself with extensive help from the manual since this was my first disc brake ever. The problem is that even the first time i took it out and rode it, it had a problem. It refuses to stop smoothy. it's all jerky as just like if a v-brake would if the rim were bent. it squeals, it jerks, I took it to a bike shop where the told me i needed a new rotor. I told them it was a new rotor, and they just scratched thier heads, and adjusted the CPS bolts repeatedly for me. Any ideas anyone? should I just return it and go back to v's?

thanks,

Timothy

King Fisher said:
Please help me, I just bought a brand new avid mechanical disc brake. I installed it myself with extensive help from the manual since this was my first disc brake ever. The problem is that even the first time i took it out and rode it, it had a problem. It refuses to stop smoothy. it's all jerky as just like if a v-brake would if the rim were bent. it squeals, it jerks, I took it to a bike shop where the told me i needed a new rotor. I told them it was a new rotor, and they just scratched thier heads, and adjusted the CPS bolts repeatedly for me. Any ideas anyone? should I just return it and go back to v's?

thanks,

Timothy
with the squeal, most new discs do that becuase they need to be broken in a little, or maybe something got on the rotors or pads. The jerkin could be coming from the caliper not being installed straight. Were the disc tabs on the frame faced, the powdercoat on the frame alot of the time can be on too thick or thin or not even causing the caliper not to be straight. Try these out, good luck