Help! Need advice about Zipp wheel + tires

Hynd73

Feb 22, 2013
Hey,

I'm new to cycle so forgive my ignorance. I bought my first bike in the fall, a Cannondale Synapse 6. I didn't want to go all out for my first bike, but I definitely enjoy it.

I've been using the indoor trainer a lot this winter, and my back tire is starting to show wear. I seen this deal online and I thought maybe it would be worth it, I'd have two extra tires and a fancy new wheel:

ZIPP 440 carbon fibre wheel with Shimano Dura Ace hub and two tubular tires ($100).

I'm new to cycling. But are Zipp wheels just one size? Are road cycling wheels just 1 size? And is this a good buy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks in advance,

Alex

diameter is the same, 700, but width could change, usually standard is 700 x 23 the main two types of tyres are clincher or tubulars, the wheel uses only one of those types, once you buy it you cannot change, the price quoted for those items is not accurate unless the wheel and tubulars are trashed and in poor condition,

vspa said:
diameter is the same, 700, but width could change, usually standard is 700 x 23 the main two types of tyres are clincher or tubulars, the wheel uses only one of those types, once you buy it you cannot change, the price quoted for those items is not accurate unless the wheel and tubulars are trashed and in poor condition,
Yup. The only time I'd buy a CF wheel that cheap would be iffin' a scorned wife was selling her hubby's bike stuff cheap as a particularly cruel sort of revenge.

Thanks for the replies guys.

If the CF wheel and tire are in good conditions like he says then is it a good deal?

Two of the tires are brand new and "The wheel is in like-new condition. The bearings are smooth, and the carbon fibre is unscratched. The hub is quick release. The spokes are all tight, and the wheel is true."

Go for it?

Hynd73 said:
Thanks for the replies guys. If the CF wheel and tire are in good conditions like he says then is it a good deal? Two of the tires are brand new and "The wheel is in like-new condition. The bearings are smooth, and the carbon fibre is unscratched. The hub is quick release. The spokes are all tight, and the wheel is true." Go for it?
Either something is wrong with wheel or it's a stolen wheel as vspa suggested.

the poster says it is a dura ace hub, tubulars are new, so it is an old ZIPP rim model, that could explain the price, but still,