Help: Need jacket with pit zippers

Lucas Jensen

Guest
I need a windproof (and NOT waterproof) jacket with pit zips. It is
intended for fairly high biking activity (25 km/h for hours). Please
come up with all your recommandations.

Lucas

In article <[email protected]>,
Lucas Jensen <[email protected]> wrote:
>I need a windproof (and NOT waterproof) jacket with pit zips. It is
>intended for fairly high biking activity (25 km/h for hours). Please
>come up with all your recommandations.

Why pit zips? They really don't breath very much. If you don't
need rain protection, how about a mesh-back vest over a long sleeve
jersey? Or, get one of those high-tech jerseys with a built-in
wind-block front (Assos, Castelli, Biemme, and others).

On 15 Nov 2004 14:28:28 -0800, [email protected] (Lucas Jensen)
wrote:

>I need a windproof (and NOT waterproof) jacket with pit zips. It is
>intended for fairly high biking activity (25 km/h for hours). Please
>come up with all your recommandations.
>
>Lucas

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17481&subcategory_ID=1130

"Functional 2-in-1 cycling comfort! This Gore Bike Wear WINDSTOPPER®
jacket’s sleeves can be removed as the day heats up and everything
fits it to the rear pocket/ frame sack, when its no longer needed.
Adjustable hem and cuffs, reflective piping."

I have been wearing this jacket for about a month now. Very well made,
mesh lining elimantes clamminess, under arm zips can be opened to vent
or remove sleeve entirely, nice high collar, easily stuffs into back
pocket and straps to frame, draw cord around waist, adjustable sleeve
openings with velcro tabs.

Use code 6000404 (11/12/04) and receive twenty % discount

Lucas wrote:
> I need a windproof (and NOT waterproof) jacket with pit zips. It is
> intended for fairly high biking activity (25 km/h for hours). Please
> come up with all your recommandations.

Some years back I found a really great jacket, but it was a bit
warm. (Double-layered windbreaker, generally well-designed for
activities.) So I added pit zips.
Go to your local fabric store with your favorite jacket, buy a
couple of right-length zips, then look at the bulletin board where
local sewists post cards.
HTH
--Karen M.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Lucas Jensen) wrote:

> I need a windproof (and NOT waterproof) jacket with pit zips. It is
> intended for fairly high biking activity (25 km/h for hours). Please
> come up with all your recommandations.
>
> Lucas

I use a MEC SuperMicroft jacket, which has enormous pit zips:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=6686
63&bmUID=1100662753033

The Whoosh, also shown on that page, has pit zips as well, and the Zik
has underarm pockets, which I suspect provide some venting.

I can attest to the fact that the SuperMicroft is not waterproof. It's a
very effective wind shell, but after a wretched 3-hour tour
(star-crossed: about 40 minutes in one rider broke his hip) in the rain,
I ended up so wet and cold in this jacket I stopped at the first shop I
came to and bought a transparent plastic shell jacket.

I was wearing a short-sleeve jersey with arm warmers under the jacket.
After the ride, the arm warmers were soaked.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I use a MEC SuperMicroft jacket, which has enormous pit zips:
>
> http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=6686
> 63&bmUID=1100662753033

[snip]
> I can attest to the fact that the SuperMicroft is not waterproof. It's a
> very effective wind shell, but after a wretched 3-hour tour
> (star-crossed: about 40 minutes in one rider broke his hip) in the rain,
> I ended up so wet and cold in this jacket I stopped at the first shop I
> came to and bought a transparent plastic shell jacket.

I'll second the SuperMicroft jacket for wind. My first one lasted
almost ten years, being retired when its main zipper broke (by then,
it had several pinholes in it as well.

The free-running front zip is a good feature on a bike jacket, so you
can regulate your temperature, pit zips or not. This one zips 'way
high, folding up the collar, which is a good design for its intended
use. It also has a long tail and reflective stripes. The colours
available now are not quite as bright as the old ones, but I believe
the material is thicker. Then again, I'm comparing it to a well worn
model.