HELP - Need to program my Avenir mileage computer (directions of useof)

Laynester

Guest
Bicycle Technical Guru's,

I have a 'Avenir AC3' bicyle computer. I had over 500 miles on it too.
Riding proud on the Trek Y Glide Deluxe down hill moutain bike. It
must of did the Potowatami Trail in Pinkney, Michigan about 30 times.

Well I used it for about 3-4 yrs and really liked using it until the
battery died.

I bought the thing I programmed it for MPH not KM. It also has a wheel
size parameter you need to enter to get the most accurate mph reading.
Yep, I put a new battery in to it and now I can't find that
instruction guide to program the computer for the 26" wheel, and the
MPH, to get the accurate reading.

Of course I know it's a sequence of buttons one a new battery is
placed in the unit and it auto resets. From there I don't know what to
do?

It's a four function computer. There are two buttons to work with. One
does "mode" and the other is does nothing but I'm sure is used for the
special programming.

Would any of you world wide bicycle mechanics have one of these
bicycle computer guides handy for the Avenir AC3? You're my last
resort and would appreciate any information one can share.

Regards,

Layne

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:20:09 -0800 (PST), Laynester
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bicycle Technical Guru's,
>
>I have a 'Avenir AC3' bicyle computer. I had over 500 miles on it too.
>Riding proud on the Trek Y Glide Deluxe down hill moutain bike. It
>must of did the Potowatami Trail in Pinkney, Michigan about 30 times.
>
>Well I used it for about 3-4 yrs and really liked using it until the
>battery died.
>
>I bought the thing I programmed it for MPH not KM. It also has a wheel
>size parameter you need to enter to get the most accurate mph reading.
>Yep, I put a new battery in to it and now I can't find that
>instruction guide to program the computer for the 26" wheel, and the
>MPH, to get the accurate reading.
>
>Of course I know it's a sequence of buttons one a new battery is
>placed in the unit and it auto resets. From there I don't know what to
>do?
>
>It's a four function computer. There are two buttons to work with. One
>does "mode" and the other is does nothing but I'm sure is used for the
>special programming.
>
>Would any of you world wide bicycle mechanics have one of these
>bicycle computer guides handy for the Avenir AC3? You're my last
>resort and would appreciate any information one can share.
>
>Regards,
>
>Layne

Dear Layne,

Google is your friend:

http://archive.mtbr.com/09/0EF4D95A.php

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Nov 30, 7:48 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:20:09 -0800 (PST), Laynester
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Bicycle Technical Guru's,

> >I have a 'Avenir AC3' bicyle computer. I had over 500 miles on it too.
> >Riding proud on the Trek Y Glide Deluxe down hill moutain bike. It
> >must of did the Potowatami Trail in Pinkney, Michigan about 30 times.

> >Well I used it for about 3-4 yrs and really liked using it until the
> >battery died.

> >I bought the thing I programmed it for MPH not KM. It also has a wheel
> >size parameter you need to enter to get the most accurate mph reading.
> >Yep, I put a new battery in to it and now I can't find that
> >instruction guide to program the computer for the 26" wheel, and the
> >MPH, to get the accurate reading.

> >Of course I know it's a sequence of buttons one a new battery is
> >placed in the unit and it auto resets. From there I don't know what to
> >do?

> >It's a four function computer. There are two buttons to work with. One
> >does "mode" and the other is does nothing but I'm sure is used for the
> >special programming.

> >Would any of you world wide bicycle mechanics have one of these
> >bicycle computer guides handy for the Avenir AC3? You're my last
> >resort and would appreciate any information one can share.

> >Regards,

> >Layne

> Dear Layne,
>
> Google is your friend:
>
> http://archive.mtbr.com/09/0EF4D95A.php
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel- Hide quoted text -

Sorry my good man,

The link you provided comes up a dead end for the Avenir programming
infomation. That link is:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer_calibration.htm

My computer has two buttons this article mentions three (not a good
match).

Thanks and please respond if someone knows these directions.

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:00:54 -0800 (PST), Laynester
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Nov 30, 7:48 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:20:09 -0800 (PST), Laynester
>>

>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >Bicycle Technical Guru's,

>> >I have a 'Avenir AC3' bicyle computer. I had over 500 miles on it too.
>> >Riding proud on the Trek Y Glide Deluxe down hill moutain bike. It
>> >must of did the Potowatami Trail in Pinkney, Michigan about 30 times.

>> >Well I used it for about 3-4 yrs and really liked using it until the
>> >battery died.

>> >I bought the thing I programmed it for MPH not KM. It also has a wheel
>> >size parameter you need to enter to get the most accurate mph reading.
>> >Yep, I put a new battery in to it and now I can't find that
>> >instruction guide to program the computer for the 26" wheel, and the
>> >MPH, to get the accurate reading.

>> >Of course I know it's a sequence of buttons one a new battery is
>> >placed in the unit and it auto resets. From there I don't know what to
>> >do?

>> >It's a four function computer. There are two buttons to work with. One
>> >does "mode" and the other is does nothing but I'm sure is used for the
>> >special programming.

>> >Would any of you world wide bicycle mechanics have one of these
>> >bicycle computer guides handy for the Avenir AC3? You're my last
>> >resort and would appreciate any information one can share.

>> >Regards,

>> >Layne

>> Dear Layne,
>>
>> Google is your friend:
>>
>> http://archive.mtbr.com/09/0EF4D95A.php
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel- Hide quoted text -

>Sorry my good man,
>
>The link you provided comes up a dead end for the Avenir programming
>infomation. That link is:
>
>http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer_calibration.htm
>
>My computer has two buttons this article mentions three (not a good
>match).
>
>Thanks and please respond if someone knows these directions.

Dear Layne,

You may have to look harder for the third reset button.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:02:37 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:00:54 -0800 (PST), Laynester
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Nov 30, 7:48 pm, [email protected] wrote:

>>> Dear Layne,
>>>
>>> Google is your friend:
>>>
>>> http://archive.mtbr.com/09/0EF4D95A.php
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Carl Fogel- Hide quoted text -

>>Sorry my good man,
>>
>>The link you provided comes up a dead end for the Avenir programming
>>infomation. That link is:
>>
>>http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer_calibration.htm
>>
>>My computer has two buttons this article mentions three (not a good
>>match).
>>
>>Thanks and please respond if someone knows these directions.

>Dear Layne,
>
>You may have to look harder for the third reset button.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

Drat--cut and paste seems to have cut but not pasted.

You may have to look harder for the third reset button or hold all
buttons down for a while to get into reset mode.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Nov 30, 8:06 pm, [email protected] wrote:

Carl you were correct. Thanks alot there sir. Worked perfect. There is
a very tiny reset button on the back. I pressed this with a pen --> it
reset.

Next move: Press and hold the front right rubber button ----> goes
into programming mode.

Next move: Set MPH/KM by toggling with front left rubber button -->
goes to MPH

Next move: Set MPH by pressing right rubber button.

Next move: Hit right button again ----> Goes into Wheel size Mode to
select the tire size of your bicycle.

Next move: NEED HELP HERE - I think I have a 26in Tire on Trek Y Glide

Computer goes in to ODO mode: 4 numbers display - 0000 <-------- What
is the number to set for a 26in tire?

I did the most logical thing I could do at this point and set it for
the highest limit 2999 but I would sure like to get this part correct,
short of hitting a track and doing 4 1/4mi loops to make sure it's
correct.

Next step was to reset up the old milage on the meter. I jacked that
up to 600mi from what I remember was on the odometer prior to being
reset.

Thanks Carl and if anyone can tell me what to set for the "wheel size"
magic number I'll be home free.

Best Regards,

Layne

Laynester aka Brent Robertson wrote:
> ******************************************************************************************************************
> Next move: NEED HELP HERE - I think I have a 26in Tire on Trek Y Glide
>
> Computer goes in to ODO mode: 4 numbers display - 0000 <-------- What
> is the number to set for a 26in tire?
> ******************************************************************************************************************
>
> I did the most logical thing I could do at this point and set it for
> the highest limit 2999 but I would sure like to get this part correct,
> short of hitting a track and doing 4 1/4mi loops to make sure it's
> correct.
>
> Next step was to reset up the old milage on the meter. I jacked that
> up to 600mi from what I remember was on the odometer prior to being
> reset.
>
> Thanks Carl and if anyone can tell me what to set for the "wheel size"
> magic number I'll be home free.

See <http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/circumference.html> [1] for one way
to measure this.

[1] Two (2) of a certain bicycle mechanic's favorite authorities in one
(1) link!

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 07:23:17 -0800 (PST), Laynester
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Nov 30, 8:06 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
>Carl you were correct. Thanks alot there sir. Worked perfect. There is
>a very tiny reset button on the back. I pressed this with a pen --> it
>reset.
>
>Next move: Press and hold the front right rubber button ----> goes
>into programming mode.
>
>Next move: Set MPH/KM by toggling with front left rubber button -->
>goes to MPH
>
>Next move: Set MPH by pressing right rubber button.
>
>Next move: Hit right button again ----> Goes into Wheel size Mode to
>select the tire size of your bicycle.
>
>******************************************************************************************************************
>Next move: NEED HELP HERE - I think I have a 26in Tire on Trek Y Glide
>
>Computer goes in to ODO mode: 4 numbers display - 0000 <-------- What
>is the number to set for a 26in tire?
>******************************************************************************************************************
>
>I did the most logical thing I could do at this point and set it for
>the highest limit 2999 but I would sure like to get this part correct,
>short of hitting a track and doing 4 1/4mi loops to make sure it's
>correct.
>
>Next step was to reset up the old milage on the meter. I jacked that
>up to 600mi from what I remember was on the odometer prior to being
>reset.
>
>Thanks Carl and if anyone can tell me what to set for the "wheel size"
>magic number I'll be home free.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Layne

Dear Layne,

The "wheel size" is probably the circumference of the tire in
millimeters, how far each roll of the tire takes you down the road.

For a 26 inch tire, the circumference varies according to how wide the
tire is and whether it has knobs or not--typical examples from
cyclocomputer manuals suggest somewhere between 1995 mm for narrow and
2099 mm for wide 26" tires:

1995 mm for 26" x 1.40"
2030 mm for 26" x 1.50"
2045 mm for 26" x 1.75"
2099 mm for 26" x 2.00"

You can easily measure the circumference yourself for more accuracy.

Put a spot of grease, oil, white-out, fingernail polish, lipstick,
paint, glue, or other convenient marking agent on the tire. Even water
will do, if you work fast.

Sit on your bike, roll it forward gently while keeping your weight on
the bike, and measure between the two tiny spots left by your tire.

Get a figure to within an eighth of an inch, and convert inches to
millimeters.

For 80 and 3/8ths inches, multiply 80.375 by 25.4 mm per inch. It
doesn't really matter which way you round on such a large figure, so
round 2041.5 up and put 2042 into your cyclocomputer.

The reason for putting your weight on the bike is that when the tire
flattens against the ground under your weight, it takes a tiny short
cut instead of following the true arc of the circle. The roll-out for
a tire with no weight and no flattening is slightly longer.

Some people even roll the tire several times, measure between four
spots of paint, divide the distance by three to get the average, and
feel immensely more precise, although their faith in such long tape
measures may be unjustified.

Precision greater than an eigth of an inch is little practical value.

If you misread the tape measure and use 80 & 4/8ths inches, for
example, 80.5 inches * 25.4 mm/inch is 2044.7 mm, so you end up using
2045 mm instead of 2042 mm.

Big deal. Your mileage for a true physical century would be 2042/2045
* 100 miles. Your odometer would show only 99.853 miles, about 776
feet short--horrors! For most of us, 99.8% accuracy is more than good
enough.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 12:23:43 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

[---]

>Big deal. Your mileage for a true physical century would be 2042/2045
>* 100 miles. Your odometer would show only 99.853 miles, about 776
>feet short--horrors! For most of us, 99.8% accuracy is more than good
>enough.

And probably better than most automobile odometers.

Laynester wrote:
> On Nov 30, 8:06 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> Carl you were correct. Thanks alot there sir. Worked perfect. There is
> a very tiny reset button on the back. I pressed this with a pen --> it
> reset.
>
> Next move: Press and hold the front right rubber button ----> goes
> into programming mode.
>
> Next move: Set MPH/KM by toggling with front left rubber button -->
> goes to MPH
>
> Next move: Set MPH by pressing right rubber button.
>
> Next move: Hit right button again ----> Goes into Wheel size Mode to
> select the tire size of your bicycle.
>
> ******************************************************************************************************************
> Next move: NEED HELP HERE - I think I have a 26in Tire on Trek Y Glide
>
> Computer goes in to ODO mode: 4 numbers display - 0000 <-------- What
> is the number to set for a 26in tire?
> ******************************************************************************************************************
>
> I did the most logical thing I could do at this point and set it for
> the highest limit 2999 but I would sure like to get this part correct,
> short of hitting a track and doing 4 1/4mi loops to make sure it's
> correct.
>
> Next step was to reset up the old milage on the meter. I jacked that
> up to 600mi from what I remember was on the odometer prior to being
> reset.
>
> Thanks Carl and if anyone can tell me what to set for the "wheel size"
> magic number I'll be home free.

4-digit input is wheel travel in millimeters. Measure by rolling
through a paint spot on the sidewalk, measure dot-to-dot.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Andrew Muzi wrote:

> 4-digit input is wheel travel in millimeters. Measure by rolling
> through a paint spot on the sidewalk, measure dot-to-dot.

The last time I did this I used mustard, although I did consider the
alternative of ketchup/catsup.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

On Dec 2, 12:36 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> The last time I did this I used mustard, although I did consider the
> alternative of ketchup/catsup.

Excellent information and want to thank every one for all the response
on this. I know where to find it next time and appreciate the "precise
method to calibrate the Avenir bicycle computer."

Brent Robertson writes:

>> The last time I did this I used mustard, although I did consider
>> the alternative of ketchup/catsup.

> Excellent information and want to thank every one for all the
> response on this. I know where to find it next time and appreciate
> the "precise method to calibrate the Avenir bicycle computer."

Don't mess up your floor with ink or vegetables. If the floor is
tiled, a tile edge is a good starting point as is the end of a
hardwood floor slat. Even a piece of tape makes a good stating point.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
> Brent Robertson writes:
>
>>> The last time I did this I used mustard, although I did consider
>>> the alternative of ketchup/catsup.

>> Excellent information and want to thank every one for all the
>> response on this. I know where to find it next time and appreciate
>> the "precise method to calibrate the Avenir bicycle computer."

> Don't mess up your floor with ink or vegetables....

When did ketchup and mustard become vegetables (unless you are John
Rusling Block)?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

In article <[email protected]>,
A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Laynester wrote:
> > On Nov 30, 8:06 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > Carl you were correct. Thanks alot there sir. Worked perfect. There is
> > a very tiny reset button on the back. I pressed this with a pen --> it
> > reset.
> >
> > Next move: Press and hold the front right rubber button ----> goes
> > into programming mode.
> >
> > Next move: Set MPH/KM by toggling with front left rubber button -->
> > goes to MPH
> >
> > Next move: Set MPH by pressing right rubber button.
> >
> > Next move: Hit right button again ----> Goes into Wheel size Mode to
> > select the tire size of your bicycle.
> >
> > ******************************************************************************************************************
> > Next move: NEED HELP HERE - I think I have a 26in Tire on Trek Y Glide
> >
> > Computer goes in to ODO mode: 4 numbers display - 0000 <-------- What
> > is the number to set for a 26in tire?
> > ******************************************************************************************************************
> >
> > I did the most logical thing I could do at this point and set it for
> > the highest limit 2999 but I would sure like to get this part correct,
> > short of hitting a track and doing 4 1/4mi loops to make sure it's
> > correct.
> >
> > Next step was to reset up the old milage on the meter. I jacked that
> > up to 600mi from what I remember was on the odometer prior to being
> > reset.
> >
> > Thanks Carl and if anyone can tell me what to set for the "wheel size"
> > magic number I'll be home free.

> 4-digit input is wheel travel in millimeters. Measure by rolling
> through a paint spot on the sidewalk, measure dot-to-dot.

Remember to mount the bicycle when measuring.
The weight difference is worth several millimeters:
as much 1 in 100 error.

--
Michael Press