Help needed. Are these web sites OK?

gatucar

Sep 13, 2007
Hi Guys!

I have had some bad experiences in the past buying in online stores:mad:. I want to get cycling shorts, road pedals and road shoes. I went to the bike store and the cheapest price for all that I need is around 230 dollars. Then I checked some web sites and I can get something very similar for 110 dollars.

Has anyone experience on buying from USA from these guys: Nashbar (I think USA), Probikekit (UK)?

Good and bad experiences buying WITHIN USA from these 2 web sites will be much appreciated:).

Thank you!

gatucar said:
Hi Guys!

I have had some bad experiences in the past buying in online stores:mad:. I want to get cycling shorts, road pedals and road shoes. I went to the bike store and the cheapest price for all that I need is around 230 dollars. Then I checked some web sites and I can get something very similar for 110 dollars.

Has anyone experience on buying from USA from these guys: Nashbar (I think USA), Probikekit (UK)?

Good and bad experiences buying WITHIN USA from these 2 web sites will be much appreciated:).

Thank you!
I have bought from nashbar before and had no problems at all, they shipped fast and everything went fine.

Nashbar is just up the road from me. I've bought from them dating back to when they opened their doors in the 1970's.

They are now owned by Performance.

Bought tons of stuff from Nashbar--generally trouble free, but make sure discounts are actually applied on your invoice. They are very responsive and quick to rectify any problems. Just placed my first order with ProBike yesterday, but have seen a lot more positive than negative postings on various forums about them. They had the best price for Conti 4 Season tires (or tyres, as they say) of anyone I found and free shipping--gotta love that!

I've bought a few things (mostly clothes) from Nashbar and been very happy with their service. I've only bought once or twice from ProBikeKit (tires), but they've if anything been even more exemplary in terms of service. I've been very happy with both vendors.

Guys,

You all have provided me most excellent help. I will buy now with confidence,

I've ordered twice from Nashbar.
First time was for a couple of tubes and tires (their house brand as well) and I most recently ordered Exustar shoes and their Nashbar Special Road pedals. Had to send the shoes back for an exchange because I ordered a size too big. My fault.

Called customer service a couple times to ask about the exchange and they were very helpful.

sgtpepper64 said:
I've ordered twice from Nashbar.
First time was for a couple of tubes and tires (their house brand as well) and I most recently ordered Exustar shoes and their Nashbar Special Road pedals. Had to send the shoes back for an exchange because I ordered a size too big. My fault.

Called customer service a couple times to ask about the exchange and they were very helpful.
Hi sgtpepper64.

I was thinking to get the same shoes/pedals that you did (for a $$ reason). Are you happy with them? Is it a real improvement over biking with regular sport shoes and regular pedals? Or you think it may be advisable to get more expensive shoes/pedals?
Thank you

I can't tell you that yet as I just had them shipped back just yesterday. I hadn't used them at all.
I don't expect the new ones to arrive for at least 9 more days as they have to receive my return first, and then ship the new shoes to me.

I'm sort of a newbie with no racing experience (yet) so I really can't answer your questions. I'm sure there's plenty of other people with more experience than me who can answer your questions for you.

What I can tell you is that yes, I was happy with their overall build and look, but I can't tell you how they perform. I'm sure I'll be happy with them as soon as I have my correct size.

I recently bought a pair of Exustar SR421 shoes as a second pair and they're pretty decent for the price I paid ($25.49!!). Velcro straps are a bit stiff initially but loosen up after a couple of weeks use. I've got 2 different Nashbar pedals--the Z17Ti and the Ventoux--and I've been happy with both of them. Never used the Looks that they're copies of so I can't make a direct comparison. Clip in/out is a little stiffer on the Ti's than the Ventoux. I use black (zero float) Look cleats because the ones that come with the pedals felt too sloppy for my liking.

In my comparison shopping I've found that, with rare exceptions, Nashbar is cheaper than Performance, despite their common ownership and numerous identical products. Go figure...

Long deKlein said:
I recently bought a pair of Exustar SR421 shoes as a second pair and they're pretty decent for the price I paid ($25.49!!). Velcro straps are a bit stiff initially but loosen up after a couple of weeks use.
Those are the ones I ordered and am waiting for an exchange on for my correct size.

artemidorus said:
Probikekit is excellent.
+1
Received my new rain tires today, only 6 days after ordering them--quicker than Nashbar ground shipments, and no shipping charge. Needless to say, Probike is going to be one the the first places I check when it's time to buy more gear.