Help needed - frame painting

stric

Jun 23, 2003
Hello,
I need an advice. Over the years of use my Reparto Corse Bianchi frame needed some serious paint job. My buddy suggested that he powder coats it for me. The problem is that the final result doesn't satisly me. The powder coat appears to be to thick and it seems that my friend didn't actually remove the original paint very well either. I don't want to assemble the bike again before I get hte new paint right. Therefore I am looking for a place that does nice custom painting of bike frames. I noticed that there are quite a few places out there but their paint jobs are not cheap. Yet, if they can fix the problem I would like to do business with them.
Can you please email me with links, or recommendations, or your opinions? Did anyone have similar experiences?

Also, do you know if powder coat can be removed by sandblasting?

Thanks

Please email me with your answers, or simply post them on the site.
[email protected]

Take it to an auto body shop. They would know how to prepare the metal and everything. Let them apply the decals before they give it a clear coat.

Powdercoat is a tough exercise to remove. The powdercoat we get in Oz sounds like America ie good for bedframes etc but pretty average looking on a bike. The Europeans (Germans) make some beautiful powdercoat which is very difficult to tell from enamel. Maybe somebody knows a brandname, but the problem is normally they have to buy the stuff by the kilo & unless you have a complete club waiting you'll have to be content with average powdercoating or more expensive enamel.

I had a frame repainted by Cyclart years ago. I shipped them the old scratched and chipped frame and they shipped back what looked like a brand new frame. They did an excellent job! I don't think it was all that expensive but it was a long time ago! You might want to check them out. Here's a link:

http://www.cyclart.com/