Help needed! Michelin rim strips?

greg333

Jun 4, 2006
Hi

I am very new to cycling and have just purchased some mavic clincher wheels. They came with some 'one piece' michelin rims strips. I am just wondering how i am meant to fit these strips. Am i meant to cut them before placing around rim? I found it impossible to fit the strip around the rim.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

greg333 said:
Hi

I am very new to cycling and have just purchased some mavic clincher wheels. They came with some 'one piece' michelin rims strips. I am just wondering how i am meant to fit these strips. Am i meant to cut them before placing around rim? I found it impossible to fit the strip around the rim.
It's June. Lay the rim strips on the dashboard of your car and park it in the sun for about an hour. That'll make them plyable and stretchy enough that they'll pop right onto your rims.

Retro Grouch said:
It's June. Lay the rim strips on the dashboard of your car and park it in the sun for about an hour. That'll make them plyable and stretchy enough that they'll pop right onto your rims.
Or just throw them out and get a couple rolls of Velox.

Or, throw them in your microwave for 15 or 20 seconds. This works great for stomp pads on snowboards and I'm sure it will work fine for your plastic rim strips. But, I also agree that Velox, or Zefal, or any quality cloth rim tape is better. The only reason I'd not use cloth tape would be for wheels that were regularly submersed or ridden in soaking rain.