Help needed please with getting right bike size

lee2509

Dec 7, 2005
Hi all. I hope that someone can help me. I am looking to buy a mountain bike for my 9 year old son. The problem is that he is a tall lad for his age 4'9", with inside leg measurement of 27". So would I be best getting a kids bike with 24" wheels and 14" frame, or a small adult bike with 26" wheels and 14" frame. I want the bike to last, but want him to be able to ride it safely. Any advice would be appreciated, as I do not know which direction to go. Thank you.

lee2509 said:
Hi all. I hope that someone can help me. I am looking to buy a mountain bike for my 9 year old son. The problem is that he is a tall lad for his age 4'9", with inside leg measurement of 27". So would I be best getting a kids bike with 24" wheels and 14" frame, or a small adult bike with 26" wheels and 14" frame. I want the bike to last, but want him to be able to ride it safely. Any advice would be appreciated, as I do not know which direction to go. Thank you.
Unless it's for Christmas I would recommend taking him to you local bike store and having him try out both. If he is already that tall he'll grow out of even the largest kids bike soon. Safety shouldn't be an issue since alot of kids bikes are modeled directly from adult bikes. If it is going to be a Christmas present go to your lbs and ask which they recommend. Most shops will let you return it after Christmas if it doesn't fit him properly for one that does.