help needed removing brake levers

boudreaux said:
Except some old **** will never be up to snuff no matter how much money you throw at it.

So what's "up to snuff" in your world? To me, it's brakes that stop the bike with good modulation and reasonable effort. IM _E_ ,even old brakes of decent quality can do that with new cables/housings and pads. What is your _experience_?

boudreaux said:
Except some old **** will never be up to snuff no matter how much money you throw at it.
Weinmann were not absolute ****, and would be improved with a good cable set and pads.
I once bought some gear cables which came with yards more housing than I needed, so I used it for the brakes. I got a remarkable improvement in braking and the housing lasted for years without failing, but eventually developed kinks so I had to replace it. I looked for the same stuff but it was no longer made, so I bought compressionless brake cables instead. I will not continue to recommend gear cable outers for brakes in light of the warnings given in this thread. Modern gear cables are thinner than brake cables and the casing is less substantial as well.

Ozark Bicycle said:
Such is a multi-cultural forum, eh? Snuff, scratch.....how 'bout up to spec?
With the right improvements you can exceed original spec. A lot of old bike equipment didn't work as well as we would have liked.

Don Shipp said:
Weinmann were not absolute ****, and would be improved with a good cable set and pads.
I once bought some gear cables which came with yards more housing than I needed, so I used it for the brakes. I got a remarkable improvement in braking and the housing lasted for years without failing, but eventually developed kinks so I had to replace it. I looked for the same stuff but it was no longer made, so I bought compressionless brake cables instead. I will not continue to recommend gear cable outers for brakes in light of the warnings given in this thread. Modern gear cables are thinner than brake cables and the casing is less substantial as well.
Close enough..... I have a box full of old **** that is not worth messing with,most of which came off of bikes with suicide levers.Waiting for the box to get big enough to make a trip to the recycle bin worthwhile. Given that I have picked up good suntour,shimano and diacompe single pivots with good pads attached for $10, why waste time on ****?

boudreaux said:
Close enough..... I have a box full of old **** that is not worth messing with,most of which came off of bikes with suicide levers.Waiting for the box to get big enough to make a trip to the recycle bin worthwhile. Given that I have picked up good suntour,shimano and diacompe single pivots with good pads attached for $10, why waste time on ****?

"suicide levers" do not infer caliper quality or lack thereof. Can you grok that? Weinman designs "inspired" Dia-Compe. Can you grok that?

Ozark Bicycle said:
"suicide levers" do not infer caliper quality or lack thereof. Can you grok that? Weinman designs "inspired" Dia-Compe. Can you grok that?
Oh really? Maybe some have just never seen better and wouldn't know better if bit in the aZZ by it.

boudreaux said:
Oh really? Maybe some have just never seen better and wouldn't know better if bit in the aZZ by it.
as you reveal to be one that confuses assholes with elbows.....not to mention holes in the ground.

You're a bully....try bullying me.

boudreaux said:
Weinmann are good enough to keep on a bike that is to good to chuck out but not good enough to warrent upgrading. Try and buy new brakes these days and you end up with most of a groupset; and very few places keep obsolete stuff. Before anything better came along, Weinman were considered more than good enough.
(Except for the snuff levers.)

Don Shipp said:
Weinmann are good enough to keep on a bike that is to good to chuck out but not good enough to warrent upgrading. Try and buy new brakes these days and you end up with most of a groupset; and very few places keep obsolete stuff. Before anything better came along, Weinman were considered more than good enough.
(Except for the snuff levers.)
What?? :rolleyes:

boudreaux said:
A while ago I needed a pinch-bolt to repair my brake. I had to go to five bike shops, including two branches of FW Evans, Bikefix and Condor before finding one that still stocked this obsolete item. And I got the last one. None of these places are interested in letting you keep an old iron running, they want to sell you a new one (probably made out of aluminium with a three year shelf life) or at the very least a new groupset. I also have boxes of bits that can come in handy but the old fashioned LBS which kept this sort of stuff has practically died out, probably because they weren't economically viable. If you know of one in the London area which still sells pinch-bolts and brake-levers which aren't also gear shifters then let me know where it is.