Help needed to improve on hills

SteveWales

Dec 1, 2013
My flat speed is better than most other cyclists but come to a hill and the power I seemed to have on the flat just isn't there and cyclists I've overtaken catch up. Why is this? What can I do to improve other than try to lose weight and cycle more? I think my technique and bike fit is ok, I don't feel pain, just don't seem to have the strength. I consider myself to be a grinder rather than a spinner. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Originally Posted by SteveWales

My flat speed is better than most other cyclists but come to a hill and the power I seemed to have on the flat just isn't there and cyclists I've overtaken catch up. Why is this? What can I do to improve other than try to lose weight and cycle more? I think my technique and bike fit is ok, I don't feel pain, just don't seem to have the strength. I consider myself to be a grinder rather than a spinner. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Hi there

What's your height and weight?

Remember climbing is all about your power to weight ratio. Also the strength requirement in cycling is minimal even at the highest level, i doubt lack of strength will be your reason for inability to climb with the other riders you train/race with.

Hopefully some of the super knowledgeable coaches or riders who visit here can chip in
cool.png

Height 5'9 weight 12.5 stone. I'm aiming to reduce by a stone to help climbing. According to Strava ( calculated power ) the max power I've seen is 315kw and average @215kw.

Everyone's motor is different... I have the opposite problem as you, where my cruising speed is a little slower than some of the less "in-shape" guys I ride with, but I kill them on the hills. I love climbing though, so it's possible that I just push harder on the climbs and therefore have more fitness for it. On the flats I'm drafting or looking at the scenery the majority of the time.

Something else to think about is that if your faster on the flats because you're pushing harder, then the guys you're riding with might be sandbagging so they have more in the tank for the hills.

Don't worry! I think you have a good bike with you and proper planning will take you good luck

Sounds like you are not fueled up. Some good carbs probably would jack this up for anyone. The flat speed this makes sense of course this is easy. Probably they are stronger if they catch up on the hills. Kind of the way it works.

CAMPYBOB said:
Oy vey...

I think the problem is that the OP stated he doesn't feel pain. That comes from being dead for 2 years and generally inhibits climbing skills.