Help Needed to Puchase Mountain Bike

Tylerjack

Aug 13, 2007
Hi All. Im new to the sport of mountain biking, crossing over from triathlon and need help to buy a mountain bike for endurance mountain bike racing (6 & 12 hr). I also want to be able to use the bike for weekend racing at my local club, Geelong Mountain Bike Club. Any suggestions????

Hi Tylerjack

There are so many variables, but some great options. A lot will depend on your budget. Once you have counted the pennies, the next question is whether to go hardtail or full-sus. The advantage of hardtail is that you either get to spend less, or you get a 'better' bike for the money - because you are not paying for the technology of the rear suspension.

The advantage of full suspension is that you are more likely to survive an endurance race off-road, and still be able to walk without looking like a cowboy.

There are some great options for each, but as a guide, £800 ($1600) gets you a range of good hardtails, and £1200 ($2400) starts getting into the useful end of the full-sus range. Weight is always the killer on full sus, but if you have the cash, Whyte do some fantastic lightweight bikes (sub-28lb). 2008 sees the new Commencal Meta 5.5.2, which looks like a cracking bike. Specialized (who make the Enduro) have launched a bargain full sus bike call Pitch, for 2008.

How much do you want to spend?

BB

Thanks for the reply BB. I was thinking of heading down the path of a full suspension MB. Something similar to the Scott Spark 20. There is so much out there, the more read and look the more confused I get. PS My budget is around $4,500 (AUS). Cheers. :)

Hi

Apologies for the delay...

Job interveiws and new Felt 65 have capitalised my time recently.

I am not familiar with the Scott, largely because I don't like my LBS that stocks Scott...

But, what I would say is that your budget should get you any one of a cracking range of 5 inch travel bikes, especially if you are prepared to go for an '07 model in the sale.

The basic Orange 5 come in at budget, and I love it because it fits me well, but you get more bike for your money with other brands. Giant Trance range is well work looking at, as is the Reign 2. The Specialized Sumpjumper FSR is on sale pretty much everywhere, and the Cannondale Prophet (not sure which one), I recall did pretty well in a UK mag review of all mountain bikes.

Sorry, not so much advice, as a list of possibles. I can strongly recommend getting out and riding them. I have been riding, racing and coaching mountain biking for 15 years, and am just about to buy my third ever mountain bike - it really does pay to get the right one, and then ride the rims off it (and possibly rebuild it and do it all again..)

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

BB