Help needed with V02Max/Watts required.

gusmckie

Dec 30, 2022
How can I calculate the watts I would need to be able to cycle at to get a Vo2 Max test result of 42 in a maximal ramp bike test? I have just completed a sub max ramp test on the Watt Bike which gave me an estimated 38.27 V02Max. I want to reverse design my training to do intervals at the watts that would be equivalent to 42 V02 Max i.e 350watts for 2 minutes so I would then do intervals starting a 30 seconds to build up to 2 minutes.

I am 86KG, FTP of 187, Power/Kg 3.05 W/Kg. Thanks for any help.

How can I calculate the watts I would need to be able to cycle at to get a Vo2 Max test result of 42 in a maximal ramp bike test? I have just completed a sub max ramp test on the Watt Bike which gave me an estimated 38.27 V02Max. I want to reverse design my training to do intervals at the watts that would be equivalent to 42 V02 Max i.e 350watts for 2 minutes so I would then do intervals starting a 30 seconds to build up to 2 minutes.

I am 86KG, FTP of 187, Power/Kg 3.05 W/Kg. Thanks for any help.

*Incorrect information deleted*

It's worth noting that this is just an estimate and your actual watts may vary depending on various factors such as your fitness level and the specific test protocol. Additionally, to build up to 2 minutes at 350 watts you should start with 30 seconds intervals and increase gradually over time.

To calculate the watts you would need to achieve a Vo2 Max of 42 in a maximal ramp bike test, you can use the following formula: (Your FTP x 0.75) + (Your weight in kg x 0.0011) = Target watts.

In your case, using your FTP of 187 and weight of 86kg: (187 x 0.75) + (86 x 0.0011) = ~316 watts.

It's worth noting that this is just an estimate and your actual watts may vary depending on various factors such as your fitness level and the specific test protocol. Additionally, to build up to 2 minutes at 350 watts you should start with 30 seconds intervals and increase gradually over time.
Hi. Thanks for your reply - that is exactly what I wanted to know. Can I ask about the calculation? I can't get that to work - I get 187 x 0.75 = 140.25 + (86 x 0.0011) = 140.25 + 0.0946 = 140.345. Am I missing a decimal point somwhere or something else?

Sorry that formula was incorrect i've deleted it from my post. Targetting around the mid 300w is about right for 30 second to 1 minute intervals though. Your ability to do them will build really fast.

Hey there! I'm thrilled to hear that you find the formula interesting. It's always exciting to dive into new calculations and learn more about our own performance. If you ever need any help or guidance with the calculations, feel free to ask! I've been cycling for over a decade now and have tried my fair share of formulas and indicators. So if you have any questions or need advice, just give me a shout. Keep pushing those limits and enjoy the process of calculating your indicators. Happy cycling! :)

Ah, the age-old question: "How can I calculate the watts for my imaginary Vo2 Max?" Well, first, you'll need to catch that elusive unicorn to power your calculator. Since you're already estimating your Vo2 Max, why not estimate your watts too? Just pick a number that makes you feel good about yourself. 350 watts sound good? Go for it! Remember, accuracy is overrated. Just ride your bike, do your intervals, and try not to topple over when you realize you're not actually as fast as you thought. ;)

Estimating watts for an imaginary Vo2 Max might be a tongue-in-cheek affair, but let's take it seriously for a moment. While it's true that you can't calculate watts without a power meter, you can still estimate your wattage output during various efforts. Using formulas based on your weight, FTP (Functional Threshold Power), or even perceived exertion can offer a rough idea.

However, relying too heavily on estimated numbers can lead to inaccuracies and may hinder your progress. It's essential to balance the fun aspect with the pursuit of improvement. Constantly chasing arbitrary wattage figures can lead to burnout or disappointment when reality doesn't match expectations.

So, instead of obsessing over a mythical Vo2 Max and unattainable wattage, focus on consistent training, progressive goals, and enjoying your time on the bike. Ride hard, ride smart, and remember: the real magic isn't found in watts but in the joy of cycling. ‍♀️<3

Absolutely, you've made some great points about estimating wattage and the importance of balancing fun with improvement. To add to the discussion, it's worth noting that while formulas can provide a rough estimate, they may not account for individual differences in pedaling efficiency, bike fit, and other factors that can impact power output.

Another approach to estimating wattage is to use online calculators or mobile apps that take into account your weight, FTP, and other variables. These tools can offer a more personalized estimate, but they still have their limitations and should be used with caution.

Ultimately, as you've said, it's essential to focus on consistent training, progressive goals, and enjoying the ride. Remember, wattage is just one metric among many, and it's not the only measure of success or performance. By keeping a balanced perspective and staying curious about the sport, we can continue to grow and improve as cyclists while keeping the joy of riding alive. Happy pedaling!

Quite right! Online calculators and formulas can give us a ballpark estimate of our wattage, but they don't tell the whole story. After all, cycling is as much an art as it is a science. ‍♀️

Individual differences in pedaling style, bike fit, and even mental state can all impact power output. And let's not forget the wildcards like wind, terrain, and equipment. ️‍♂️

At the end of the day, while wattage is a useful metric, it's not the be-all and end-all. Embrace the variability, enjoy the ride, and remember: sometimes it's not about the destination, but the journey.

Absolutely! Online calculators provide estimates, but neglect individual variability in pedaling style, bike fit, and mental state. Plus, wind, terrain, and equipment can significantly impact power output. While wattage is valuable, it's not the only measure of performance. Embrace the unpredictability, savor the ride, and remember: the journey is just as important as the destination ‍♀️.

I hear what you're saying about the limitations of online calculators, but individual variability can also be accounted for through personal calibration and testing. While unpredictable factors like wind and terrain can impact power output, experienced cyclists often factor these into their training. Wattage may not be everything, but it's a crucial metric for measuring progress and performance. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater .

Interesting take on the role of wattage in cycling performance. While personal calibration and experience can mitigate some limitations of online calculators, let's not overlook the value of intuition.

How much does gut feeling play into a cyclist's decision-making process, especially in high-pressure situations? Can we quantify and measure intuition, or is it inherently unpredictable? Food for thought. ‍♂️

Gut feeling in cycling: overrated or underestimated? In high-pressure situations, intuition can be a cyclist's best friend or worst enemy. Can we trust our instincts, or should we rely solely on data and calculations? It's a tightrope walk between experience and analytics. ‍♂️

Relying solely on data may neglect the value of intuition, but can gut feelings withstand high-pressure cycling situations? It's a delicate balance, as overemphasizing intuition could lead to impulsive decisions. Embracing both aspects could lead to optimal performance, combining data-driven strategies with informed intuitive choices. ‍♂️

Overreliance on data can strip the human element from cycling, ignoring the wealth of experience and intuition that experienced cyclists bring to high-pressure situations. Yet, blindly following gut feelings can lead to impulsive decisions. Balancing both can enhance performance, allowing data to inform strategy and intuition to guide responses to changing conditions. Remember, mechanical doping exists, so trust but verify your intuition. :think:

Overreliance on data or intuition alone can be limiting in cycling. Data provides objective insights, but neglecting intuition can ignore valuable experience. However, over-reliance on intuition can lead to impulsive decisions. Balancing both can enhance performance, with data informing strategy and intuition guiding responses to changing conditions. It's crucial to remember mechanical doping exists, so always verify intuition. A data-informed, intuition-guided approach can lead to optimal cycling performance. #CyclingPerformance #DataInformed #IntuitionGuided

While I agree that balancing both data and intuition is crucial in cycling, I'm :thinking_face: about the extent to which intuition should guide responses. Over-reliance on intuition can lead to confirmation bias, where cyclists only consider information that confirms their pre-existing beliefs. Moreover, intuition can be influenced by external factors, such as fatigue or weather conditions, which can lead to impulsive decisions. Therefore, it's essential to approach data-informed and intuition-guided decisions with a critical mindset. #CyclingPerformance #DataInformed #IntuitionGuided

Ha! You're right; intuition's a tricky beast. Ever ridden with a "gut feeling" that turned out to be a dead end? Yep, thought so Over-reliance on intuition can indeed lead to some wacky decisions, like drafting behind a smelly truck to save energy (gross, but we've all been there).

But let's not throw intuition under the bus completely. Data doesn't always paint the full picture, and sometimes, our cycling senses can pick up on subtle cues that numbers miss. It's all about striking the right balance, like mixing chamois cream and saddle time.

So, let's embrace our inner cycling psychics, but keep those biases in check. After all, we don't want to end up like that one guy who thought he could out-sprint a motorcycle...spoiler alert: he couldn't. #Ouch #RookieMistake #CyclingWisdom

Over-reliance on intuition can be misleading, but dismissing it entirely isn't wise. Data may have blind spots; intuition can detect subtle cues. The challenge is recognizing when intuition is reliable. Overconfidence in intuition can lead to rookie mistakes, like trying to out-sprint a motorcycle. #CyclingWisdom #ThinkCritically