help needed

robert millar

Feb 7, 2008
i am using vuelta crosser wheels with vittoria rubinho tyres, i am having a job getting tyres of to repair punctures,i even took my wheel to work for a mate who is an experienced club cyclist to have a go at and he struggled even nicking the tube, should i change my wheels, tyres or both or just keep stuggling[size=-1]
[/size]

Tires are almost always a bit of a hassle to get off the rim. Some rim manufacturers slightly oversize their rims and some tire manufacturers slightly undersize the bead of their tires. If you end up with both, you have a real pain in the butt tire removal problem. I would stay with the rims and get a different tire as this would be the least expensive route to go. I have always had pretty good luck with Michelin and Continental when I have an over sized rim.

robert millar said:
i am using vuelta crosser wheels with vittoria rubinho tyres, i am having a job getting tyres of to repair punctures,i even took my wheel to work for a mate who is an experienced club cyclist to have a go at and he struggled even nicking the tube, should i change my wheels, tyres or both or just keep stuggling[size=-1]
[/size]
The difference in the ease with which some tyres can be installed when compared with others is like night-and-day -- some can be managed without tyre irons, and some are almost impossible even with tyre irons.

FWIW. Others have suggested putting the wheel out in the sun ... presuming it is Summertime, of course, where you are ... inside the passenger compartment of a car parked in the sun & the windshield not in the shade would enhance "warming" up the tyre. The wheel will become VERY WARM, so you may want to wear gloves ...

AND, let the air OUT of the tyre before putting your wheel inside the car.

Conversely, pre-heat "tight" tyres in your car OR a clothes dryer (!) to make them more compliant before putting them on your wheels.

robert millar said:
i am using vuelta crosser wheels with vittoria rubinho tyres, i am having a job getting tyres of to repair punctures,i even took my wheel to work for a mate who is an experienced club cyclist to have a go at and he struggled even nicking the tube, should i change my wheels, tyres or both or just keep stuggling[size=-1][/size]
I think the type of beading has a lot to do with the ease or not of removing the tyre. i find folding tyres almost always more difficult. Use proper tyres levers get them close together and then you need some good ol brute force.

Fignon le Grand said:
I think the type of beading has a lot to do with the ease or not of removing the tyre. i find folding tyres almost always more difficult. Use proper tyres levers get them close together and then you need some good ol brute force.
Folding tires have a Kevlar bead. Wire beads usually can be stretched a little. While Kevlar is fairly pliable, it cannot be stretched at all, at least not by the typical human.