Help! New bike fever!

DrewMiller1989

Aug 12, 2014
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum so if if I come across as a newbie, sorry!

I have been cycling for a little over a year now. In that 15 month span, I've ridden about 6000+ miles. I did not know that I would become so engulfed in cycling.

I spent the bare minimum and purchased a Specialized Secteur, base model. I think it ran me about $800 dollars. Since I have had the bike, I have tried to modify everything that I can. Upgraded seat post (carbon s-works), new stem (to help be more aggressive), and new wheels (Mavic SLE). I have come to the point where I am ready to purchase something that has a more aggressive frame and ready to spend a little more $$$. I hope to get into some Cat5 races soon as well. Also, I live in Southeast Texas where hills are not a factor, so a bike for climbing is not needed.

With that being said, I am an avid Specialized fan and the Specialized Venge has been my dream bike since day one. BUT, I do want to keep my options open brand wise. I want something aggressive and sleek, but also something that can be somewhat comfortable.

Can any of you give me some advice? Any is helpful and well appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew

Do some test rides. Try both the Venge and Tarmac from Spesh. Also try the new Emonda from Trek, and the C-dale Super Six. Don't automatically discount top quality aluminum frames, like the CAAD 10 or the S-Works Allez. Especially for Cat 5 races. Nothing sucks more than wrecking a $5000 CF bike in your first Cat 5 demolition derby. Ride as many bikes as you can. You sound like you're ready to spend several thousand on your next ride, and you should rely on your own feedback from test riding, rather than the often subjective advice you'll get here.