HELP! New freehub needs old cassette- compatibility question

JimmyBubble

Aug 25, 2013
Happy holidays everyone!

I have a compatibility question. I recently bought new carbon clinchers for my Madone, which leaves me with a decent set of Bontrager XL Lites hanging in the garage... right next to a my old Tomassini from my 80's race days. You know where this is going- right :)? The Tomassini is all Campy SR with Mavic MP4 tubulars and a Campy 7 speed rear hub/ cassette. Here's the question(s)

1) Will a Shimano 7 speed hyperglide cassette fit on that Bontrager rear wheel/ free hub?
a) Will the cassette be compatible with the modern spline design, and
b) will the spacing be correct? (The Bontrager/ Shimano free hub carried a new Dura-Ace 10 speed cassette.)

2) Will the old chain (which is in great shape) be compatible with the drive exchange between the front Campy SR chainring and the NEW Shimano cassette?

My goal here is to get the hassle free clincher wheels on this Italian Stallion and show it off every so often :)
I realize I could just run tubulars, but don't want to deal with the hassle and the cost. I can pick up the Hyperglide for $25-$35 off Ebay
THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!!

Nice Tomassini. It looks great with that straight block on the back.

Now, for the love of God, get the nose of that Concor down. And dig up a set of SR brakes.

Alf will be along to give you the best min-n-match combination, but going with any other 7-speed I don't think spacing is going to be an issue. Especially with your DT friction levers. Getting the chain line centered may require playing around with a couple of extra spacers at the worst...thicker 7-speed gears and all that.

7 speed is too old,Now almost 8,9,10,11 speed.
You can look at novatec hub
http://www.diy-carbonbike.com/

Originally Posted by JimmyBubble
Happy holidays everyone!

I have a compatibility question. I recently bought new carbon clinchers for my Madone, which leaves me with a decent set of Bontrager XL Lites hanging in the garage... right next to a my old Tomassini from my 80's race days. You know where this is going- right :)? The Tomassini is all Campy SR with Mavic MP4 tubulars and a Campy 7 speed rear hub/ cassette. Here's the question(s)

1) Will a Shimano 7 speed hyperglide cassette fit on that Bontrager rear wheel/ free hub?
a) Will the cassette be compatible with the modern spline design, and
b) will the spacing be correct? (The Bontrager/ Shimano free hub carried a new Dura-Ace 10 speed cassette.)

2) Will the old chain (which is in great shape) be compatible with the drive exchange between the front Campy SR chainring and the NEW Shimano cassette?

My goal here is to get the hassle free clincher wheels on this Italian Stallion and show it off every so often :)
I realize I could just run tubulars, but don't want to deal with the hassle and the cost. I can pick up the Hyperglide for $25-$35 off Ebay
THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!!

Refitting your vintage Tomassini (or, any vintage bike which has a steel frame) with a more-or-less contemporary wheelset can be a very good idea ...

Although the 7-speed Shimano Cassette has the same spline pattern, it is typically not simply a matter of installing a 7-speed Cassette + spacers on the "new" rear wheel unless you live(d) in Tucson-or-environs (at anytime in your past) ...

• AFAIK, the spacing did not change between 7-speed Freewheels & 7-speed Cassettes
  • but, I recommend that you may as well go with an 8-speed (12-23) SRAM Cassette or an 8-speed (11-23) SunRace Cassette or whatever combination suits your current needs. Both brands will have ramped Cogs ... there may be some NOS Shimano Cassettes which may not have ramped Cogs, so if you opt for a Shimano Cassette, just be aware of the possibility.
  • you can continue to use your current chain unless you switch to a 9-or-10-speed Cassette

As you may know, your frame's rear dropout spacing is undoubtedly 126mm ...

Most Road wheels have been 130mm for more than a dozen years.

While you can squeeze your Bontrager wheels into the Tomassini frame on an ad hoc basis, THAT get's old after about the third time AND it is unacceptable if you ever plan to use indexed shifting ...

Respacing a steel frame can be a DIY project ...

It takes only a few minutes ...

1. remove the rear wheel AND rear derailleur
  2. measure the dropout spacing (do this EVEN IF you know it is 126mm)
  3. while standing BEHIND the bike, grab a dropout in each hand
  4. pull outward simultaneously on both dropouts with whatever you deem to be 30 lbs of force ... use NO additional leverage ...
  5. measure ... it may not have changed significantly!!
  6. pull outward again with whatever you deem to be 30 lbs of force
  7. measure ... repeat again-and-again until you achieve a separation of 130mm

Now, you will want to realign the rear dropouts & derailleur hanger ...

1. steel is a SOFT metal & easily marred so you will want to sandwich the dropout with small scraps of plywood or similar "wood" product (cardboard is probably not acceptable) ...
  2. with a ~12" pipe wrench (slightly easier because of the angle of the handle) or an ~8" adjustable crescent wrench TWEAK the dropout with what you think is 5 lbs of force ...
  3. check for square ... your vintage Campagnolo rear derailleur may be the best "tool" for a simple, visual assessment of whether-or-not a rear derailleur hanger is square
  4. tweak with less force if needed ...
  5. check ... repeat as necessary.
  6. REPEAT on the other dropout.
  7. ALMOST done!

Re-attach the rear derailleur ...

Adjust the stops.

NB. THIS IS WHERE AN 8-SPEED CASSETTE MAY-OR-MAY-NOT BE TRICKY WHEN USING A VINTAGE CAMPAGNOLO REAR DERAILLEUR ...

While I think you may be "okay" with the cage swinging over-and-across eight Cogs, the driveside spokes may interfere with the cage, and vice-versa ...

If so AND you would like to access the 8th Cog, then simply install a pair of 8-/9-/10-speed 10t pulley wheels ...

Depending on the threading, you may need different (4mm?) bolts

Otherwise, I would adjust the inner stop, accordingly, for only seven Cogs.

@ Campy Bob- LOL, the seat was just "thrown on" when the bike was unpacked. I'm pretty sure this 46 year old wouldn't be able to handle that riding position. @ Alfeng- dude, amazing wealth of knowledge- thank you!!
Jimmy
Will give updates once I get her back on the road!