Help on building 5/6 speed bicycle and spacing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave539, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Dave539

Dave539 New Member

For the past few years my winter training bike has been a 126mm rear spacing frame with a 5 speed freewheel in the back. The frame is about to quit. Oh, this bike has a single 53 chainring up front, no small chainring, which I like, and a 5 speed freewhell in the back

Now, I would like to buy a frame with 130mm rear spacing but stick to 5 or 6 speeds in the rear (either with downtube shifters or handlebar shifters). The reason for getting 130mm spacing is, the wheel selection is so much better but.......here's my issue.

How can I use a modern 9 speed wheel with a rear hub that accepts a cassette but only make it a 5 speed. Do I use a lot of spacers behind 5 cogs, is that permissable or? Thank you for your help

Tags:

2. Ozark Bicycle

Ozark Bicycle New Member

If you buy a steel frame, it will accept your extant 126mm rear wheel, probably won't even need to be cold set to 126mm. If you are worried about future availability, buy a new or NOS _freewheel_ hub for future use (to be laced to a rim when needed) and stock up on 5/6 speed freewheels (get 'em while ya can).

3. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

I just bought a spare wheel, old 650c, for my project, it has a Shimano FH-6402 hub. This takes the older cassettes, 5-6 speeed, with the thread on the outside of the freewheel (hub) body. Shimano still have these old Freehub bodys in stock, I have one coming next week. E-mail them for a Parts Exploded View, they posted (snail mail) one to me yesterday.

4. Ozark Bicycle

Ozark Bicycle New Member

Good idea! One of those older freehub bodies can be installed on most new Shimano 8/9/10 freehubs. Put in a shorter axle, re-space to 126mm and you're there. The opposite of what most folks do (they convert from 5/6 or 7 to 8/9/10). The rub is the availabilty of 5 or 6 speed cassettes.

5. Insight Driver

Insight Driver New Member

A simple option would be just to set the rear derailleur so you only can shift on 5 gears. I'm not sure your reasoning to stay with the older gearing system. If you are getting a new frame you may as well go with a modern flight deck shifting system which just works well with no fuss and adjustments necessary. I've put thousands of miles on bikes with nary a need to adjust the modern shifting systems from Shimano. I grew up with a downtube shifter and am glad for the modern system for it just works, no finesse or overshifting required.