Help on Building a TailBox/Trunk

Stratrider

Guest
I love the Angletech TailBox but it's way to much money for me. I have a Blackburn Mtn Rack on my
Stratus. I'd like to build a weatherproof trunk/tailbox large enough to receive my day bag (as I
commute). I'd like to use a lightweight material and create a finished product that doesn't look
like a grammar school kid's first attempt at building a kite! Any thoughts.

Jim Reilly

Try this link http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/building/fairings.htm "stratrider"
> I love the Angletech TailBox but it's way to much money for me. I have a Blackburn Mtn Rack on my
> Stratus. I'd like to build a weatherproof trunk/tailbox large enough to receive my day bag (as I
> commute). I'd like to use a lightweight material and create a finished product that doesn't look
> like a grammar school kid's first attempt at building a kite! Any thoughts.
>
> Jim Reilly

Jim, all the home brewers I know use Coroplast. It is like corrugated cardboard only made out of
plastic. Available in different thickness and colors at commercial plastic supply places. Check your
yellow pages and shop around. I have found radically different prices. I think I paid $12 for a 4x8
sheet that I glued acoustic foam to for hanging in my audio listening room (my other vice). The
builders I know just punch it and zip tied at the joints. This may not meet your aestethic criteria
but it is the only material I have ever seen used. Don

On 1 Sep 2003 11:30:51 -0700, [email protected] (stratrider) wrote:

>I love the Angletech TailBox but it's way to much money for me. I have a Blackburn Mtn Rack on my
>Stratus. I'd like to build a weatherproof trunk/tailbox large enough to receive my day bag (as I
>commute). I'd like to use a lightweight material and create a finished product that doesn't look
>like a grammar school kid's first attempt at building a kite! Any thoughts.
>
>Jim Reilly

You can do some pretty nice work with coroplast. This link below is what I ended up with after I
started stripping down my fully faired
P38. This tailbox is sturdy, has good capacity, and looks pretty decent IMHO (although you might
want to forgo the decal <g>). If you go to my main page, you can see a view of the inside.

http://www.geocities.com/texasp38/p38fc.html

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Try this link http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/building/fairings.htm

My instructions for building a Coroplast tailbox are at
http://home.pacifier.com/~jwills/tailbox/index.htm and the results are at
http://home.pacifier.com/~jwills/tailbox2/index.html

I can build a Coroplast tailbox in about 4 hours. If you want to make one fancier, it would probably
take a little longer, but I can't see more than 3 evenings worth of work.

Jeff

Make it out of cardboard and duct tape first, as a model.

news:[email protected]...