Help on finding a replacement for a shifter/brake lever

I have a set of Shimano Alivio integrated shifter/brake levers (3/7-
speed) on my MTB. See picture of the shifter/lever at:

http://www.erality.com/assets/public/IMG_6208.jpg

The shifter for the front derailleur isn't working very well anymore,
and will probably have to be replaced.

I was wondering if the shifter/brake lever at the following link would
be a compatible replacement.

http://bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=BPC109101

I have a 1997 GT Talera MTB. The front derailleur is Acera-X and the
brake set is Altus (cantilever).

Thanks

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have a set of Shimano Alivio integrated shifter/brake levers (3/7-
> speed) on my MTB. See picture of the shifter/lever at:
>
> http://www.erality.com/assets/public/IMG_6208.jpg
>
> The shifter for the front derailleur isn't working very well anymore,
> and will probably have to be replaced.
>
> I was wondering if the shifter/brake lever at the following link would
> be a compatible replacement.
>
> http://bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=BPC109101
>
> I have a 1997 GT Talera MTB. The front derailleur is Acera-X and the
> brake set is Altus (cantilever).
>

> Thanks

That should work. Or you can get an inexpensive SRAM front shifter and a
left brake lever. At Nashbar sale you can probably get one for under $5.
http://tinyurl.com/yozgyc

I never liked integrated Shimano shifter/lever jobbies precisely for this
reason. If a shifter a or lever breaks, you have to replace the whole damn
thing.