Help on first Road Bike Purchase

aje6

Mar 23, 2008
Hello Everyone,

So I'm planning this bike trip with my brother and good friend this summer, and need to get a good quality road bike soon. We are traveling around Lake Michigan, camping along the way. Anyways, I am open to either buying new or used, just a little more wary about buying used, as i do not want to get duped since i am not the most knowledgeable person about bikes. Anyways I came across this modernized Gitane road bike, which happens to also have the right frame size for me. I was wondering if anyone would be able to let me know if this seems to be a good deal, and would fit what i would be looking for. Occasional long trips with mostly commuting and medium length recreational rides. Thanks in advance for any help that I recieve!

And here is the link to the bike I am currently looking at:
Hi all,

So I am just getting into biking, and am not incredibly knowledgeable on the topic. I am planning on going on a bike trip this summer with my brother and a good friend, but still need to purchase a bike. I found this used one for sale on craigslist. It is a modernized Gitane, but I am not very familiar with Gitane's. I know that the Reynolds 531 frame is fantastic, but this frame is Reynolds 501. Here is a link to the bike and all of the specs that go along with it. I was wondering if anyone knowledgeable would be willing to give a little feedback as to whether or not this would be a prudent purchase. Thanks in advance for any help.

Here is the link:
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/bik/595755804.html

that bike appears ,from the pic to be a racing frame/bike, not suited for long touring,
unless all you are going to pack is a credit card.:)
there are no brazons or mounts for racks, and the ride will be stiff.
I think a road bike is the way to go , but more of a laid back frame,like a touring specific frame.(have a look at a rocky mountain sherpa) steel, mounts for racks more upright riding position.
Just my 2 cents!

Almost forgot, that frame looks huge, Is it even your size?;)
also have a look at cyclocross bikes, some have rack mounts.

Oh yeah,

It is my size. I'm about 6'2". Thank you for your help!