Help on internal headset

DeScEnTmAsTeR

Aug 13, 2007
Hello all, I just recently picked a Jamis comet frame. I have been slowly getting the parts to put it together but so far have hit a big problem with the headset. According to the Jamis website,(this is a 2006 frame), the bike was fitted with a FSA Orbit IS 1" internal headset. So I figured I ventured to some of my LBSs here in the greater Boston area but everyone I talked to looked at me as if I had two heads. They could not understand that I was looking for a 1" internal headset.
The truth is that I have not had much luck finding the FSA headset mentioned below online. Is this type of headset that difficult to find? Anyone has any leads?
Anyways, enough venting and ranting, thanks in advance for any response.

ride safe!

Jim

DeScEnTmAsTeR said:
Hello all, I just recently picked a Jamis comet frame. I have been slowly getting the parts to put it together but so far have hit a big problem with the headset. According to the Jamis website,(this is a 2006 frame), the bike was fitted with a FSA Orbit IS 1" internal headset. So I figured I ventured to some of my LBSs here in the greater Boston area but everyone I talked to looked at me as if I had two heads. They could not understand that I was looking for a 1" internal headset.
The truth is that I have not had much luck finding the FSA headset mentioned below online. Is this type of headset that difficult to find? Anyone has any leads?
Anyways, enough venting and ranting, thanks in advance for any response.

ride safe!

Jim

Email FSA, asking if they still have that headset. If they don't, ask them who makes a similar spec headset.

alienator said:
Email FSA, asking if they still have that headset. If they don't, ask them who makes a similar spec headset.

thank you alienator. Just did, waiting for their response

regards,

jim

DeScEnTmAsTeR said:
The truth is that I have not had much luck finding the FSA headset mentioned below online. Is this type of headset that difficult to find?
ride safe!
Well, the first problem is either a literacy problem on your part or the part of the person who wrote the technical specs for the frame ...

The ONLY 1" threadless headset that I can confirm exists was made by Campagnolo ... and, that dates to circa 2001.

A frame made in 2006 would more-than-likely use a 1.125" (ONE AND ONE EIGHT INCH) headset ...

So, THAT is what you want to ask for ... a 1 1/8" FSA internal headset. I don't know what the difference is between FSA's internal headset models ... so, re-read the spec AND/OR bring the frame with you the next time you go to one of your LBSes.

alfeng said:
Well, the first problem is either a literacy problem on your part or the part of the person who wrote the technical specs for the frame ...

The ONLY 1" threadless headset that I can confirm exists was made by Campagnolo ... and, that dates to circa 2001.

A frame made in 2006 would more-than-likely use a 1.125" (ONE AND ONE EIGHT INCH) headset ...

So, THAT is what you want to ask for ... a 1 1/8" FSA internal headset. I don't know what the difference is between FSA's internal headset models ... so, re-read the spec AND/OR bring the frame with you the next time you go to one of your LBSes.

Ritchey, Chris King, Cane Creek and probably others all make 1 inch threadless headsets.

If you do need a 1 inch internal threadless headset bearings, cane Creek makes them. If 1 1/8 inch, Cane creek makes those also as does FSA. Take one to your LBS, have them measure it and consult the QBP catalog.

alfeng said:

My Bad!

I guess 'I' should read what 'I' write before posting ... I meant to write/say:
The ONLY internal, 1" threadless headset that I can confirm exists was made by Campagnolo ... and, that dates to circa 2001.

alfeng said:

Hello Alfeng, thanks for your message. You are funny on the "literacy" statement. I do not get it.
Anyways, I double checked the spec on the "bike" for that year and it was fitted with a FSA Orbit IS 2A 1" internal cup threadless. From the catalog:
FSA Orbit IS-2A​
internal cup threadless, 1”.

This is what I asked at the LBS. I guess I will have to bring the frame next time.

Peter, thanks for the message. I did check Cane Creek and FSA, did find one listed on FSA's website but have had no luck finding a retailer.

will keep looking.

thanks all for the help

regards,

Jim

just a quick update.

Called FSA, they say the part is in stock and that they have plenty. The part number is 120-0320. They said to contact a dealer or distributor for it.
everyone I contact fails at finding the part.
One website reported that had it, but upon calling they wanted to confirm. now waiting for their call.
This is probably why I got this frame cheap :)
lol

jim

Another update, I was able to find an internal headset. The bearings fit nicely inside the frame, the cover however is too small. below is a picture of the situation. what are my options?

thanks in advance.

116537625.jpg