Help on making a slightly-too-big bike work!

vegasbabee

Mar 20, 2005
I have an opportunity to by a new Specialized Allez for $499.99 from a LBS on close-out (2004 model). I think it has Soira front deraileur /Tiagra Rear.

My main question is that it is 62 cm, which may or may not be too big for me? I'm 6'2" and have a 34" inseam and I have long arms. This shop measured me for a 61 cm. This Allez is only 1 cm off. Is that a biggie? Can they make this bike fit by putting say a 80mm stem on instead of the stock 120 mm? That would shorten my reach by a good 1 1/4".

I'm a sucker for bargains. Is this a good deal? I don't know much about Specialized. Are they good bikes? Thanks

vegasbabee said:
I have an opportunity to by a new Specialized Allez for $499.99 from a LBS on close-out (2004 model). I think it has Soira front deraileur /Tiagra Rear.

My main question is that it is 62 cm, which may or may not be too big for me? I'm 6'2" and have a 34" inseam and I have long arms. This shop measured me for a 61 cm. This Allez is only 1 cm off. Is that a biggie? Can they make this bike fit by putting say a 80mm stem on instead of the stock 120 mm? That would shorten my reach by a good 1 1/4".

I'm a sucker for bargains. Is this a good deal? I don't know much about Specialized. Are they good bikes? Thanks
Is this your first bike? If so, go for it. If not, what size was your previous frame?

1cm is not much. You should take the 2004 62cm for a test ride, then jump straight on to one of their 61cm Specialized frames, preferably with the same sized components. I doubt there'd be much difference.

Walrus said:
Is this your first bike? If so, go for it. If not, what size was your previous frame?

1cm is not much. You should take the 2004 62cm for a test ride, then jump straight on to one of their 61cm Specialized frames, preferably with the same sized components. I doubt there'd be much difference.

I´m 6,5 and I use 60 to 63 frames depending on geometry.
The specialized allez is a compact frame is it not? Use a non setback saddle pin and a 90-110 mm stem and it should fit you.

I buy all my bikes slightly long rather than short and use zero offset seatposts to increase the effective seatpost angle , thus shortening the top tube, they all work out fine with 100mm stems. For each degree of change in SP angle the seat moves about 15mm, for your leg length. This also gives a bike with a longer wheelbase for better stability.

Also, if that bike is an 8 speed it is not really a bargain.

mrowkoob said:
I´m 6,5 and I use 60 to 63 frames depending on geometry.
The specialized allez is a compact frame is it not? Use a non setback saddle pin and a 90-110 mm stem and it should fit you.
Non setback saddle pin? What the hell is that? Thanks:confused: