Help on right stem length(road bike)

Cjuggler

Jun 4, 2007
Does anyone know if there is a guideline to choose the correct stem size?!
Any help would be apreciated!Thank you all

Cjuggler said:
This is a bike-fit matter ...

FOR EXAMPLE. I currently have "standard"/(horizontal top tube) road frames whose seat tube vary between 52cm & 57cm (c-c) & whose top tube vary between ~53.5cm to ~57cm (c-c) ... the REACH on the handlebar and how/where you position the levers is a variable, too ...consequently, the stem lengths on the various bikes currently vary accordingly, between 120mm to 90mm to achieve approximately the same relative postion from the rear of the saddle (an arbitrary point of measurement) to the rear of the "horn"/(the rise on the brake lever) on the levers (another arbitrary point to measure from).

ALSO, the width of the handlebars will have some impact on the length of the stem length that will be optimal for you & your bike.

Presuming you can ascertain what position on a bike is comfortable for you, to some extent the sizing for a road frame becomes (IMO) as much an aesthitic choice as anything.

The way I found out what stem fit me best was to go to a bike shop with an array of sizes (the quality of the stem doesn't matter, they can just order whichever one you want). Try a bunch of them and try to determine which one makes you feel not too stocky yet not too elongated.

Cjuggler said:

All the advice of the previous posters is very good. I would add also the stem rise as a variable you should look at. When you talk to your LBS ask also about what angles/rise are available. Sometimes, a more upright position (higher stem rise) would require a shorter stem length. They can also add spacers to raise the distance from top head tube to bottom of stem clamp. It's all about what makes YOUR riding position feel comfortable.

BTW/FWIW. There ARE some considerations based on the frame's geometry, primarily the head tube angle, which may need to be considered if you are really optimizing your riding position; so, excluding those considerations, and working only with the arbitrary ...

Perhaps mostly based on MY aesthetic sensibilites (or, lack of), unless you are over 6' (183cm) tall, I think a stem longer than 120mm generally looks too long ... that is, if the top tube is only 56cm (for example), and you opt for (find you need) a 13cm stem, it is probably a frame that is a little too small & you will probably want to consider a slightly larger frame ... in part, the stem length will affect your fore-aft "balance" on the bike.

At the other end, if a stem is shorter than 85mm (?), it probably looks too short unless you are riding a DH bike OR you are really short and can't get a smaller frame OR you/whomever are more comfortable with an upright riding position ... that is, if the selected stem is really short, the frame may be too large for the particular rider.

BTW/IMO. The "problem" with an in-store fitting is that UNLESS you are going to sit on the gizmo for one-or-two hours, it may not give you a sense of how you will feel when you are on the road for a couple of hours ... of course, the fitting will tell you what positions don't feel good; but, that could change over time. AND, conversely, what feels great/good/"okay" could conceivably be a disaster in the future ...

rudycyclist said:
The way I found out what stem fit me best was to go to a bike shop with an array of sizes (the quality of the stem doesn't matter, they can just order whichever one you want). Try a bunch of them and try to determine which one makes you feel not too stocky yet not too elongated.
Another thing that really is surprisingly helpful is to bring your bike in, install it on their trainer, and have them use a fitting stem. They can adjust the length and angle, have you ride again, adjust again, etc. You might be surprised at how obvious the "sweet spot" is. You then buy or order a stem of the quality you care to pay for, with the understanding it's exchangible in the near future if it's not damaged. Then ride it 100 miles and see if it still seems right. At that point, you've started with something that is very close and tweek from there - as opposed to needing to go back and forth several times trying to adjust length and angle.