Help please - Chain skip on 11T sprocket

Pawko

Apr 30, 2004
I've been experiencing chain skip during time trials when conditions allow popping top gear ( 53 x 11 ) & putting some power thru' it . Chain & chainrings have 6000 k.m's on them , cassette on race wheel lucky to have 800 , training wheels with a 12 -23 cassette have the remaining 5200 . I thoroughly wash chain , rings , cassette & jockey wheels in kerosene & reoil on a 1-2 weekly basis & the chain still measures a hairs width over 12" from pin to pin .
On that basis I would think the chain is still fine , it still works perfectly on the 12T but obviously is not up to the job on the 11T . Are 11T cassettes prone to skipping on anything but a perfect chain ?

Pawko said:
I've been experiencing chain skip during time trials when conditions allow popping top gear ( 53 x 11 ) & putting some power thru' it . Chain & chainrings have 6000 k.m's on them , cassette on race wheel lucky to have 800 , training wheels with a 12 -23 cassette have the remaining 5200 . I thoroughly wash chain , rings , cassette & jockey wheels in kerosene & reoil on a 1-2 weekly basis & the chain still measures a hairs width over 12" from pin to pin .
On that basis I would think the chain is still fine , it still works perfectly on the 12T but obviously is not up to the job on the 11T . Are 11T cassettes prone to skipping on anything but a perfect chain ?

Are you using chain a joining link such as the wipperman chain link?
If so, it can cause the chain to skip on an 11 tooth cog if it is put on the wrong way around.

Mike

6000km is a few, so I suppose the 11 (assuming it doesn't get as much use as the other cogs) hasn't worn at the same rate as the others cogs have, along with the chain.

Or......I'm no mechanic, but it seems logical that a stiff link would be more likely to cause skipping if it has to get around a smaller diameter -- just like it will cause "jiggling" on a jockey wheel before it would skip on a cog.

Or.......are you using the correct size lock-ring on the cassette? I once bought a 12 to 21 (8 speed), then put an 11 tooth cog on, and took out the 16; using the lock ring that came with the 12. This lock ring was too big for the 11 because it prevented the chain sitting on the teeth properly, therefore causing it to skip.

mikeg said:
Are you using chain a joining link such as the wipperman chain link?
If so, it can cause the chain to skip on an 11 tooth cog if it is put on the wrong way around.

Mike

Funny enough yes I am using a 9 spd connex link . Just checked wipperman's website but could find no reference to assembling them a certain way . What is the right orientation to assemble these links - possibly the opposite to what mine is assembled . I'll swap mine over and ride it on the trainer and post the result . Thanks

Pawko said:
Funny enough yes I am using a 9 spd connex link . Just checked wipperman's website but could find no reference to assembling them a certain way . What is the right orientation to assemble these links - possibly the opposite to what mine is assembled . I'll swap mine over and ride it on the trainer and post the result . Thanks
The wrong cassette lockring can cause it too. The Connex link does come with instructions,but it seems like they must get used for buttwipe.

Pawko said:
6,000 km is a lot of riding to not have worn out the chain.
I think you should go with a new chain, especially with the low milage cassette.

boudreaux said:
The wrong cassette lockring can cause it too. The Connex link does come with instructions,but it seems like they must get used for buttwipe.

Unfortunately , I've never got instructions with the links I've bought . On both occasions my LBS haven't had the link on it's own and have scavenged one off a complete chain for me . Verbal advice from them would have been nice though .

I swapped the link around and gave it a workout on the trainer , no more skipping , that's saved me a trip to the bikeshop and probably a new chain that would have frustrated the hell out of me if I assembled that link the wrong way again . MANY THANKS - I OWE YOU GUYS A BEER !