help please! i want to get a bike

helen

Feb 12, 2003
hi

i'm after some advice, i want to get a bike just to start off riding, not every day, just riding here and there - just recreationally to start off with - 2-3 times per week.

i've been recommended a giant boulder or a gitane rocks.

has anyone got any thoughts or advice on an ideal first bike please?

thanks!

Hi Helen

Why a mountainbike, if I may ask?
I know many people that buy mtb bikes and then use them on the road 80% of the time. If you would like to compete in road races around the country, I suggest you reconsider.
If you are a full blown cool mountain bike chicker, then please ignore the above. :D

Originally posted by Vo2
Hi Helen

Why a mountainbike, if I may ask?

Welcome to the forum Helen.

I agree totally with Vo2. If you intent to ride on the road then it will be much better to get a road bike. Much more fun...you can beat all the MTBikers:D

Just kidding, MTBikers are really cool:cool: but if you are only going to ride on the road I would recommend it.

Another option you might look at is to get a Hybrid (mix between a mountain bike and road bike). Look around, try some bikes and choose whatever you prefer...as long as you start cycling..it's fun on any bike...

i guess i want to be able to go where i want and my mum lives in the country, so there's plenty of unsealed roads and other places to ride...

plus i guess, i didn't even think about a road bike.......should i have?

i guess i want to be able to go where i want and my mum lives in the country, so there's plenty of unsealed roads and other places to ride...

From above I would then recommend you go for a Mountain Bike, you can go everywhere (oceans and lakes exlcuded);). MTB however is not up my alley but there are plenty of MTBikers here on the forum and I'm sure they will give you some good advise.

thanks for the welcome everyone

i am getting very excited about the cycling thing...i rode a lot when i was a kid and haven't really ridden for years....i rode over the weekend with my boyfriend which was great, managed to smash into a fence (yes, i'm a clutz) and get a great bruise on my arm, etc, etc - am very glad it was the fence and not the road though!

any thoughts from you guys about the ride sort of mountain bike to get please?

There is so may good and nice bikes. The Giant range is good value for money. How about the Giant Rainier. It will last you forever with the model of component fitted. How about Scott? Their "Y" series is good entry level bikes.

Giants rock.

welcome to mountain biking. git yourself a nice entry level bike and if you want to road ride get a second set of wheels and some slick tires.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the great advice, went and test rode a Giant Boulder today and they're excellent!

They had a red and black one in my size, but I get everything in blue, so they're going to try and source a blue one - I'm picking up a blue one or a red one on Tuesday (apparently even Giant has run out of blue in this model and size!).

Thanks again, I can't wait til Tuesday night!

H

"If you intent to ride on the road then it will be much better to get a road bike. Much more fun...you can beat all the MTBikers"
Haha - you're funny:D :D
I'll put some 700C slicks on my 30kg bike and kick your ass!:D

"How about Scott?"
Over-priced, over self promotion on frame:D
Sorry Mampara

'03 giant Boulders are a good entry level bike. The only dis is the rear shock. Very springy but you can fix the spring rate pretty easily and upgrade the rest as it breaks.
Good hoice.

oh yeah - g'day and welcome from Australia:D

www.mountainbikepark.com

Thanks Everyone,

I'm waiting on a blue Boulder, Giant have run out! So this rep is looking around for one that's already in a shop in my size (even in Perth which is at the other end of Australia to me - I'm in Melbourne).

At least they're holding a red and black one just in case.

I just want to get a bike home though!

Thanks

H

still waiting on picking it up - i don't have a bike rack for my car yet, until then, do the wheels come off the giant boulders easily so that i can put the bike in the boot please?

thanks

helen

quick release wheels yes - no probs.
take the seat off as well - should also be qwik release (give yaself some leg room:D )

You only need to remove the front wheel so that you can fit in on the back seat. That is what I'm currently doing. Remove the front wheel, turn the bike upside down and put it inbetween the rear seat and front seats. You have to do this from the right hand side of the car. Just remember your blanket or something so that you do not get oil on the seat.

unless it's a VW:D
good point on the blankie though. Unless you wanna impress your friends?? haha

(hindsight comes after "What friends??" haha)
Ask Shane Warne about hindsight:eek: