HELP PLEASE, with an old derailleur

EDDIEV

Feb 17, 2010
I bought an 80 something ladies world tourist and have been restoring it so i can give to my girlfriend as a birthday present.
After changing the tires, i tried to reinstall the rear wheel and have been having a problem with the rear derailleur, it doesn't seem to be working right at all.
i am only fix-geared savvy and have no idea what i'm doing.
HELP PLEASE
noname.jpg

also, my bad if the picture is way too big

It looks like someone has put the chain through the derailleur the wrong way. The chain is meant to go over the front of the top jockey wheel (the front one in your pic), then around the back of the bottom one. The chain has most likely gotta be undone and put through the right way , unless (edit)...I think some of those cheap derailleurs don't have closed cages, so you might able to put the chain back the correct way without unpinning it

It should go like this

moulden_rear.jpg

531Aussie said:
It looks like someone has put the chain through the derailleur the wrong way. The chain is meant to go over the front of the top jockey wheel (the front one in your pic), then around the back of the bottom one. The chain has gotta be undone and put through the right way.

It should go like this

moulden_rear.jpg

I figured out that what had happened is the derailleur got twisted around when i first took the wheel off. so i was basically mounting it backwards. if that makes sense.

Thank you for your help!