Help - point me in the right direction for my first quality bike!

atheophilos

Sep 12, 2014
I classify myself as a fitness cyclists. I just started riding seriously this summer. Right now I am riding about every other day. Most days I get in 10 miles; on a good day I will do a 20 mile ride. Currently I am riding a department store mountain bike but I am in the market for a new bike. I ride at an average of 15 mph. I am just over 50 yrs. old but in excellent health. All my riding at this point is on the road.

I am looking at a Cannondale Synapse; suggested as a comfort road bike.

I am also considering a Cannondale Caadx cyclocross; suggest by another LBS for its comfort and versatility. With two sets of wheels and tires you have a road bike or a cx bike according to the salesman.

I have read about the Specialized Diverge which is branded as a road/gravel bike.

Today I visited another LBS and they pointed me to a 2014 Diamondback Interval Carbon flat bar bike. It has Equation wheels, Schwalbe Spicer tires, Tektro Novela mech disc brakes, Shimano Tiagra flatbar shifters, and a 105 rear derailleur. I think I would prefer drop bars but the carbon frame intrigues me.

The more I look and read and try to educate myself the more confused I become. I need to take the next step and test ride. Any suggestions that could help point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

All my riding at this point is on the road.
Then you've definitely made the right choice in looking for a road bike.

Quote: I am also considering a Cannondale Caadx cyclocross; suggest by another LBS for its comfort and versatility. With two sets of wheels and tires you have a road bike or a cx bike according to the salesman.

Definitely true and a good suggestion.

The Synapse is a great bike and in my opinion you get good value for your money with Cannondale. I would avoid the disc version if possible because discs are a passing fad as well as a maintenance headache and unnecessary extra cost. Other entry level endurance geometry bikes to look at would be the Trek 1.2, Felt Z95, Giant Defy, and the Scott Speedster (more aggressive than the others).

Quote:

Today I visited another LBS and they pointed me to a 2014 Diamondback Interval Carbon flat bar bike. It has Equation wheels, Schwalbe Spicer tires, Tektro Novela mech disc brakes, Shimano Tiagra flatbar shifters, and a 105 rear derailleur. I think I would prefer drop bars but the carbon frame intrigues me.

Anyone pointing you towards flat bars on a road bike isn't someone you want to take advice from. Flat bars get uncomfortable very quickly on longer rides due to the lack of variable hand positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheophilos
The more I look and read and try to educate myself the more confused I become. I need to take the next step and test ride. Any suggestions that could help point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

I think you're already going in the right direction. You've indentified some good bikes to look at and you obviously understand what you need. See if these shops will let you take an extended test ride on these bikes (like actually join a shop group ride). Going around the block is not sufficient to form an educated opinion. Pay attention to ride quality, shift performance, brake performance, handling, stability, etc. Make sure each bike is at least somewhat fitted to you before the ride so that you're comparing apples to apples as much as possible. Riding a **** bike with the seat adjusted properly is going to feel better than riding a great bike adjusted improperly.

I went to a Trek dealer today. I looked at the Trek 1.5 and the Trek Domane 2.3. I really want a bike I can grow into rather than a bike I will grow out of; it that makes since.

I think right now it comes down to the Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 5 Disc Bike or the Domane 2.0 or 2.3.

Those are good choices and the "growing into" absolutely makes sense when you're spending that kind of money. Take a real ride on both, back to back if you can. The Domane is a little TOO relaxed and tame for many people.

After riding many bikes I settled on a Cannondale Synapse 6 105. I purchased last years model and saved some. Now to get out an ride it to confirm I made the right choice. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Originally Posted by atheophilos
After riding many bikes I settled on a Cannondale Synapse 6 105. I purchased last years model and saved some. Now to get out an ride it to confirm I made the right choice. Thanks for all the suggestions.
I think you'll like it.
wink.png

Went out for my first ride on my new road bike yesterday. I did a 30 mile ride averaging 16.2 mph. I don't have anything to compare it to since it is my first road bike. I was riding a department store mountain bike. Looking forward to many more rides on this bike.

Good to hear. I was in a similar boat last year with the first road bike purchase. After a few months you'll start sorting out what you do and do not like about it.