Help. Problem with fellow Rider ;-(

I don't know, if his ego is as big as it sounds, he may be more inclined to be a tuff guy in a situation where someone is trying to take him down a notch or two. The main reason that I am suggesting that you address this in a non-confrontational manner is because of the potential for violent retribution. I mean you guys are riding on the road. Is this guy such a narcissist that he might attempt to run over your group in his Mercedes?

I had a guy like this in a club where i was a newb. He was all flashy bollocks and so i beat him every time there was a hill, drafted him in head winds then beat him home, and every time he broke i broke with him and soon enough he stopped breaking free and lead the pack and actually got nicer. They need a taste of some defeat and taking down a step or two..
Just do him up the hills mister...pisses 'em right off. HEH HEH and see what happens.

I would suggest you talk to his friend, the guy who invited him along in the first place. Let him know how you (and any other members of the group) feel about the guy. Then let the friend approach him about it. The guy would most likely be more receptive to his friend than to you, and subsequently be less inclined to get defensive. Then if the behavior continues ask his politely to stop his behavior. And if that doesn't work then tell him he is no longer welcome on your group's ride. If he still shows up then everyone should just totally ignore him to the point of acting like he doesn't even exist. The worst thing in the world for a narcissist is to be ignored by other people.

The solution here is simple: talk to him. If he wants to ride with your people, find a way to exploit his abilities in a way that benefits the group such as the suggestion above to make him pull. Stay on his wheel and set a pace appropriate for the group. If he rides off, let him; your group will still be together. If he decides to hang with your pack, then look at integrating him into some spirited sprints or shorter, faster pulls. Some of your riders might enjoy the challenge.

If he steps up in your face, tell him to ********. If you are there to lead the ride, then that's what you should do. Time to step up!

And don't call your riders 'newbies.' All you are doing is talking down to them, just like the guy you are complaining about.

This is a very good idea and one I'd not thought of.

Originally Posted by stevegreer .

I would suggest you talk to his friend, the guy who invited him along in the first place. Let him know how you (and any other members of the group) feel about the guy. Then let the friend approach him about it. The guy would most likely be more receptive to his friend than to you, and subsequently be less inclined to get defensive. Then if the behavior continues ask his politely to stop his behavior. And if that doesn't work then tell him he is no longer welcome on your group's ride. If he still shows up then everyone should just totally ignore him to the point of acting like he doesn't even exist. The worst thing in the world for a narcissist is to be ignored by other people.

[SIZE= medium]Progress (of sorts). [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Last Sunday the weather looked a bit crappy (though that doesn’t usually stop me riding) and I was feeling gutless so I didn’t ride. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Yesterday (Sunday) he wasn’t there. I asked about him and he’s gone to Croatia for 5 weeks so we’ve all got some breathing space/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]BBB[/SIZE]

There's lots of crazy people around, what I do is simple, I've got 3 choices depending on the situation.

1. I let him hear that I've a serious problem and money is involved, that will shut him up actually he'll even stay away from you.

2. If he says something foul then reciprocate. Until he gets tired.

3. Ignore him fully, don't speak to him, don't even notice him.

I try to avoid confrontation as much as possible and I just ignore these people and if they continue to harass me when I'm riding, I just go to a different route.