Help recovering stolen recumbent bike - Update!

Wirral John

Guest
Thanks everyone for your vigilance and good wishes. The
Greenspeed was caught on CCTV being carried away in a
trailer being towed by a Mondeo. It was found this morning
only quarter of a mile from where it was taken, outside a
wardens office, with nothing worse than a bent bottle cage.

Thanks again

Cheers John

Wirral John wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your vigilance and good wishes. The
> Greenspeed was caught on CCTV being carried away in a
> trailer being towed by a Mondeo. It was found this
> morning only quarter of a mile from where it was taken,
> outside a wardens office, with nothing worse than a bent
> bottle cage.

Hurrah! Hope they got the *******'s plate so they can be
tracked, shot and body burned.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

> Wirral John wrote:
> > Thanks everyone for your vigilance and good wishes. The
> > Greenspeed was caught on CCTV being carried away in a
> > trailer being towed by a Mondeo. It was found this
> > morning only quarter of a mile from where it was taken,
> > outside a wardens office, with nothing worse than a bent
> > bottle cage.
>
> Hurrah! Hope they got the *******'s plate so they can be
> tracked, shot and body burned.

The burning is only supposed to happen after the beheading,
quartering and sticking the head on a pole as a warning to
the others.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

"Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Wirral John wrote:
> > > Thanks everyone for your vigilance and good wishes.
> > > The Greenspeed was caught on CCTV being carried away
> > > in a trailer
being
> > > towed by a Mondeo. It was found this morning only
> > > quarter of a mile from where it was
taken,
> > > outside a wardens office, with nothing worse than a
> > > bent bottle cage.
> >
> > Hurrah! Hope they got the *******'s plate so they can be
> > tracked, shot and body burned.
>
> The burning is only supposed to happen after the
> beheading, quartering and sticking the head on a pole as a
> warning to the others.

Seems a shame to let them off so lightly. Where's the
boiling oil? Where's the vat of acid? ......

Seriously though, the police apparently were great, spent
two hours driving my mate round in a police landrover
looking for the bent. Had posters made for him, and when it
was found, he was given a police escort back to his home -
sirens et al. The numbers not been got yet, but hopefully
will soon be ID'd.

Cheers John

(only sad thing, I was going to persuade him to get a
Windcheetah as a replacement [a real recumbent trike] :¬)

"Wirral John" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Seriously though, the police apparently were great, spent
> two hours
driving
> my mate round in a police landrover looking for the bent.
> Had posters made for him, and when it was found, he was
> given a police escort back to his home - sirens et al. The
> numbers not been got yet, but hopefully will soon be ID'd.

Credit to the coppers there, usually they give you a crime
number and a tough luck message. That's if you can get
through in the first place.
--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

in message <[email protected]>, Wirral John
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your vigilance and good wishes. The
> Greenspeed was caught on CCTV being carried away in a
> trailer being towed by a Mondeo. It was found this
> morning only quarter of a mile from where it was taken,
> outside a wardens office, with nothing worse than a bent
> bottle cage.

Great stuff! I bet that's a relief.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers
are from Uranus.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Wirral John
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>>Thanks everyone for your vigilance and good wishes. The
>>Greenspeed was caught on CCTV being carried away in a
>>trailer being towed by a Mondeo. It was found this
>>morning only quarter of a mile from where it was taken,
>>outside a wardens office, with nothing worse than a bent
>>bottle cage.
>

> Great stuff! I bet that's a relief.

Presumably the thief had a smug look a beard and a camra
membership?

It would seem that if you want to make a fast getaway that
there are better choices than a recumbent! ;) Sore thumb.

"Vincent Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > in message <[email protected]>, Wirral John
> > ('[email protected]') wrote:

<< Snip >>

> Presumably the thief had a smug look a beard and a camra
> membership?
>
> It would seem that if you want to make a fast getaway that
> there are better choices than a recumbent! ;) Sore thumb.

what What WHAT! Obviously never riden or seen a bent!

As the proud owner of a Windcheetah Club Sport I take you to
task sir. On the flat and of course downhill, or even
against a head wind, a bent will out match a 'normal' bike
anytime, espescially a MTB.

Not only that, but they get the attention on car drivers
more, look cool and are far better all round.

Grrrrr

Cheers John

Wirral John <[email protected]> wrote:

:>
:> Presumably the thief had a smug look a beard and a camra
:> membership?
:>
:> It would seem that if you want to make a fast getaway
:> that there are better choices than a recumbent! ;)
:> Sore thumb.
:>

: what What WHAT! Obviously never riden or seen a bent!

I think you missed the humour in that post. Most recumbant
riders do seem to be off the bearded and belly'd
variety......

: As the proud owner of a Windcheetah Club Sport I take you
: to task sir. On the flat and of course downhill, or even
: against a head wind, a bent will out match a 'normal' bike
: anytime, espescially a MTB.

A trike is always going to be slower than a bike though.
Having riden a Windcheetah, I say that unfaired it would
have to be a pretty big headwind before it was quicker than
a standard race bike. Comparisions against a MTB are pretty
meaningless - put 2" knobblies on the 'cheetah and it
wouldn't be so fast either.

Now put a fairing on, and that's different.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a
philosophy out of a personality defect"

Wirral John wrote:
> "Vincent Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>It would seem that if you want to make a fast getaway that
>>there are better choices than a recumbent! ;) Sore thumb.

> what What WHAT! Obviously never riden or seen a bent!

They're not great for a fast getaway, whatever sort it is of
the ones I've seen and ridden. First up you have to get on
and get sat down before you can go anywhere. On a wedgie you
just run along and mount in motion if you're in a hurry.
From a standing start /off/ the cycle I would defy any 'bent
rider to make a quicker getaway than anyone who can do a
rolling mount on any wedgie of roughly the right dimensions
for them. And that's an experienced 'bent rider. Most people
start off by wondering if they even /could/ ride the thing,
let alone the best way to get on and make a fast getaway.
The easiest way to nick one in most cases would be to park
your white van next to it, pick it up, pop it in the back
and drive off. And the fact they tend to be heavier and more
awkward to carry doesn't help there...

> As the proud owner of a Windcheetah Club Sport I take you
> to task sir. On the flat and of course downhill, or even
> against a head wind, a bent will out match a 'normal' bike
> anytime, espescially a MTB.

You say "a" rather than specifically a Windcheetah. If you
can outrun a Giant OCR on a Flevo OkeJa with a similar
standard of rider on the OCR I would be /very/ surprised.
The OkeJa doesn't have the light weight, the aerodynamics,
the low rolling resistance wheels or the gearing for any
sort of speed. All 'bents are not the same. For a quick
getaway you might note that Sam Whittingham has ridden a
Bike Friday (and not the recumbent model!) in standing start
sprints at HPV events...

> Not only that, but they get the attention on car drivers
> more, look cool and are far better all round.

Though not "all around", for what I want I agree, which is
why I ride one, but I'll get off the starting blocks quicker
on my Brompton than the Streetmachine!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382
640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
[email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

> Wirral John wrote:
> > "Vincent Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> >>It would seem that if you want to make a fast getaway
> >>that there are better choices than a recumbent! ;) Sore
> >>thumb.
>
> > what What WHAT! Obviously never riden or seen a bent!
>
> They're not great for a fast getaway, whatever sort it is
> of the ones I've seen and ridden. First up you have to get
> on and get sat down before you can go anywhere. On a
> wedgie you just run along and mount in motion if you're in
> a hurry. From a standing start /off/ the cycle I would
> defy any 'bent rider to make a quicker getaway than anyone
> who can do a rolling mount on any wedgie of roughly the
> right dimensions for them. And that's an experienced 'bent
> rider. Most people start off by wondering if they even
> /could/ ride the thing, let alone the best way to get on
> and make a fast getaway. The easiest way to nick one in
> most cases would be to park your white van next to it,
> pick it up, pop it in the back and drive off. And the fact
> they tend to be heavier and more awkward to carry doesn't
> help there...
>
> > As the proud owner of a Windcheetah Club Sport I take
> > you to task sir.
On
> > the flat and of course downhill, or even against a head
> > wind, a bent
will
> > out match a 'normal' bike anytime, espescially a MTB.
>
> You say "a" rather than specifically a Windcheetah. If you
> can outrun a Giant OCR on a Flevo OkeJa with a similar
> standard of rider on the OCR I would be /very/ surprised.
> The OkeJa doesn't have the light weight, the aerodynamics,
> the low rolling resistance wheels or the gearing for any
> sort of speed. All 'bents are not the same. For a quick
> getaway you might note that Sam Whittingham has ridden a
> Bike Friday (and not the recumbent model!) in standing
> start sprints at HPV events...
>
> > Not only that, but they get the attention on car drivers
> > more, look cool
and
> > are far better all round.
>
> Though not "all around", for what I want I agree, which is
> why I ride one, but I'll get off the starting blocks
> quicker on my Brompton than the Streetmachine!
>
> Pete.

Without wanting to get to involved, after all, my pervious
reply was meant to be light hearted, as I am probably biased
towards the Club Sport I still think that I can out perform
riders of a similar fitness/standard than myself. But, there
are bikes and bikes, and you may well be right.

One way that I out perform almost every other bike is from a
start where both are already on the machine. For me already
clipped in and ready to go, and others trying to balance
then getting the feet clipped.

But Hey! What the hell. So long as you're happy with what
you've got and I'm happy with what I've got what does it
matter :¬))

Cheers John

BTW Even tortoises go faster than me!

Reply to Wirral John
> One way that I out perform almost every other bike is from
> a start where both are already on the machine. For me
> already clipped in and ready to go, and others trying to
> balance then getting the feet clipped.

It is definitely one of the Very Nice Things about
stopping at e.g. traffic lights: sit back, relax, twiddle
your thumbs...

> BTW Even tortoises go faster than me!

Tchoh. I'd like to see the tortoise that thinks it can
drop *me*! Unless it did something sneaky and underhand
like go uphill, of course, in which case it might be a close-
run thing.

--
Mark, UK. We hope to hear him swear, we love to hear him
squeak, We like to see him biting fingers in his horny beak.