Help removing cassette

axle.bolt

Jan 28, 2005
Hi,
trying to remove my MTB 7sp cassette with no luck :( - first time so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

When I turn the lockring tool anti clockwise the whole axle just turns with the actual cassette remaining stationary.

The cassette is shimano though don't know any other details. The tool I'm trying to use is Cyclus Double Cassette Lockring tool

Pictures of the cassette can be seen here

Any help / advice greatly appreciated

axle.bolt said:
Hi,
trying to remove my MTB 7sp cassette with no luck :( - first time so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

When I turn the lockring tool anti clockwise the whole axle just turns with the actual cassette remaining stationary.

The cassette is shimano though don't know any other details. The tool I'm trying to use is Cyclus Double Cassette Lockring tool

Pictures of the cassette can be seen here

Any help / advice greatly appreciated
Sounds like you need to be using a chainwhip to hold the cogs if you have a cassette.

See:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQcogs.shtml

for pretty detailed instructions. With that type of tool you'll have to just ignore the part about using the skewer to hold the lockring tool in place.

From the picture though I am not positive that you may not have a freewheel (screw-on) rather than a cassette?
If that is the case instructions for that are on the same page towards the bottom. I've always found the vise/rim rotation method much easier if you have access to one.

That doesn't look like any cassette I've ever seen. I second the freewheel suggestion, although I can't confirm it.
Your lockring tool will not grip this if it is a tool for standard shimano lockrings.
If it is a freewheel, then (I think) you'll need two chainwhips. www.parktool.com is a must.

artemidorus said:
That doesn't look like any cassette I've ever seen. I second the freewheel suggestion, although I can't confirm it.
Your lockring tool will not grip this if it is a tool for standard shimano lockrings.
If it is a freewheel, then (I think) you'll need two chainwhips. www.parktool.com is a must.
It's a freewheel . It requires the correct freewheel tool. 2 chainwhips are what works for removing uniglide cassettes

Tengo un problema.
My ride had to be cancelled tonight as there was this horrendous noise. I don't know whether it's the chain or what but I seem to be detecting a rattling coming from the rear axle (around the hub probably).
Prior to this I had degreased my chain and cleaned the cogs. Since then I have this noise.
I was due to change my cassette and have been studying the Park Tools section someone recommended. Now it seems I may well have to deal with the bearings as well and clean out the cup in the hub.
However, I think the hub situation will be beyond me and seems more complex than simply changing the cassette.
Has anyone ever had this rattling problem and am I right it's likely to be the bearings? It's like the noise you get when the chain rubs on the front derailier except there is clearly no rub taking place. I know my chain is worn too and I'm not 100 per cent certain the noise could be being caused by the chain.
Seems like I'll have to take my bike off the road and and start work replacing my chain set as planned.

Carrera said:
Tengo un problema.
My ride had to be cancelled tonight as there was this horrendous noise. I don't know whether it's the chain or what but I seem to be detecting a rattling coming from the rear axle (around the hub probably).
Prior to this I had degreased my chain and cleaned the cogs. Since then I have this noise.
I was due to change my cassette and have been studying the Park Tools section someone recommended. Now it seems I may well have to deal with the bearings as well and clean out the cup in the hub.
However, I think the hub situation will be beyond me and seems more complex than simply changing the cassette.
Has anyone ever had this rattling problem and am I right it's likely to be the bearings? It's like the noise you get when the chain rubs on the front derailier except there is clearly no rub taking place. I know my chain is worn too and I'm not 100 per cent certain the noise could be being caused by the chain.
Seems like I'll have to take my bike off the road and and start work replacing my chain set as planned.

There are a number of possible causes. It does not sound like the hub bearings. It does sound like the gear indexing is out. Parktool.com has an excellent guide to tuning the gears. Make sure that the RD is not contacting the spokes and that the cassette lockring is tight. Did you take the RD apart to clean it? If so, make sure that the jockey wheel bolts are tight.