Help removing cassette

Simon D wrote:

> Thanks for correcting me, Tony.

What's going on here? Outbreaks of graciousness all round. We've got
standards to maintain ;-)

Tony

> Isn't that a *freewheel*?

Bah! I was starting to suspect as much. I thought since the bike was only
4yrs old it wouldn't be a freewheel.

I take it this means that cassettes and freewheels are not interchangable
and if I want to put a cassette on I'd need a new hub?

Thanks for the info

Stephen

Simon D wrote:

> "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Yep your right - the thread is starting to drift away from the specific
> > problem.
> >

> Thanks for not taking umbrage! ;-)

I had a nice ride over the Downs today so I'm in a benevolent mood ;-)

John B

Tony Raven wrote:
> m-gineering wrote:
>

>> you need a chainwhip as well to atop the freewheel body rotating as in
>> www.m-gineering.nl/lockring2.jpg

> You can get away as a bodge with a workmate and an old chain. Trap the
> chain end in the workmate, stand the wheel on the workmate next to the
> chain and then wrap the chain round the cassette.

Maybe the wine is getting to me, but the first time I read this advice I
thought a workmate was a colleague from work. A very understanding chap,
I was thinking.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

Response to JLB:
> Trap the
> > chain end in the workmate, stand the wheel on the workmate next to the
> > chain and then wrap the chain round the cassette.

> Maybe the wine is getting to me, but the first time I read this advice I
> thought a workmate was a colleague from work. A very understanding chap,
> I was thinking.

*How* understanding depending on where you're supposed to trap the
chain, I suppose. Or is the wine getting to me as well?

--
Mark, UK.

"For men become civilized, not in proportion to their
willingness to believe, but in their readiness to doubt."

Stephen wrote:
>> Isn't that a *freewheel*?

> Bah! I was starting to suspect as much. I thought since the bike
> was only 4yrs old it wouldn't be a freewheel.
>
> I take it this means that cassettes and freewheels are not
> interchangable and if I want to put a cassette on I'd need a new hub?

Yes. And at that point its probably easier to get a new wheel.

There are various freewheel 7-speeds available, so if its either replacing
something due to wear, or if you want a reasonably normal set of ratios, you
can get the bits.

- Nigel

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

JLB wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> m-gineering wrote:
>>

>>> you need a chainwhip as well to atop the freewheel body rotating as in
>>> www.m-gineering.nl/lockring2.jpg

>> You can get away as a bodge with a workmate and an old chain. Trap
>> the chain end in the workmate, stand the wheel on the workmate next to
>> the chain and then wrap the chain round the cassette.

> Maybe the wine is getting to me, but the first time I read this advice I
> thought a workmate was a colleague from work. A very understanding chap,
> I was thinking.

i wouldn't let any of my workmates anywhere near my bikes !