Help required re urgent rebuild

ianf

Nov 3, 2003
We have an old Cinelli frame with the old standard bb. Currently it has been running a 9s Campag set up. However, it needs to be temporarily changed to a 10s Token/Shimano set up.
1. Could I simply run a 10s chain and keep the Campag set up?
or 2. Will the Token chainset's bb set up fit on this frame? so that I can change the chainset?

Also: We don't have a campag bb removal splined tool available. Any tips on how to overcome this and extract the bb without the spline tool?

Thanks

It is possible to remove a bottom bracket without the correct splined tool but unless you have a fully equipped machine shop at your disposal or are very handy with tools (and have lots of time) I would NOT try to remove the bottom bracket without the correct tool. If the Campagnolo bottom bracket has been in the frame for a number of years then it may be difficult to get out even with the correct tool. A large "persuader" (ie breaker bar or pipe over the end of the wrench to gain added leverage) may be required and liberal use of a Pentrating oil spray like PB Blaster or Wd40 might be required. Park Tools make good tools for a fraction of the price of tools made by Campagnolo and are every bit as good. You'll need to know whether you have English or Italian threading on the bottom bracket shell. You might find this info cast into the bottom of the BB shell or more likely on the campagnolo bottom bracket somewhere. The irony is that it might be on a place that you can only read after its been removed! English and Italian threads do not tighten in the same direction on both sides. You need to know what you have before weilding the big wrench to remove. I've never used a campagnolo chain set with a shimano 10 speed chain but it should work to some degree. Do a search for "Sheldon brown" and read what he has to say on the matter. Sheldon, RIP, posted a lot of very informative stuff and thankfully Harris Cyclery kept his ramblings online.

Originally Posted by ianf .

We have an old Cinelli frame with the old standard bb. Currently it has been running a 9s Campag set up. However, it needs to be temporarily changed to a 10s Token/Shimano set up.
1. Could I simply run a 10s chain and keep the Campag set up?
or 2. Will the Token chainset's bb set up fit on this frame? so that I can change the chainset?

Also: We don't have a campag bb removal splined tool available. Any tips on how to overcome this and extract the bb without the spline tool?
FWIW. If you are referring to the 102mm Record/Chorus BB, then while it may seem to be a bit dodgy I think that if you have an INDUSTRIAL SIZE Flat Blade Screwdriver (or, equivalent!?!) then can slide it along the BB's square taper and "wedge" the blade in the BB's notches ...

• try a 1/2" WOOD CHISEL ... if necessary, use an adjustable wrench for leverage

To state what may be obvious, if the threads are labeled on the BB as being 36x1 then the BB has Italian threads & both sides have "normal" right-hand threads.

BTW. If the TOKEN crank's BB cups have English threads (1.37x24 ... the size will usually be stenciled on the cups) then it will not fit in an Italian threaded BB shell (if that's what the Cinelli frame has).

If this not a "sponsored" situation, then if you have access to an 11-speed Campagnolo chainring, then just put it on the crank instead of fretting with changing the crankset ...

• BUT, even though Shimano shifters really need the ramped chainrings, I would definitely try the existing crank with the 10-speed Shimano chain ... you would have little to lose except for the time it takes to take a quick "test ride" ...
  • make sure the "test ride" includes the uphill inclines which anticipate encountering