HELP: SA Hub for a Windcheetah?!?!

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by David Wallach, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. David Wallach

    David Wallach New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2003
    Ok, time to grovel.

    I thought I made the deal of the century getting a used Windcheetah.. Arrived clean and shiney, new tires and all... There I am riding, my second hour of bliss... child runs accross bike path, soft hearted trike rider swerves, flips, shatters the outside lip of a 70mm Sturmey Archer Drum Brake... I am fine, the child is fine, my rim is fine, all i need to do is get a new hub and relace, right?... then the HORRROR really started...

    Sturmey is, of course, out of buis. and Sun race doesnt make the wheelchair style hubs anymore so I am hunting DESPERATELY for a 36 hole 70mm Sturmey Archer Drum Brake... my only alternative is to get two new wheels with Sachs (or the like) drumbrakes which will require new backplates etc... $$$$ for a mountain of new kit when $ would have done it for a new hub...

    CAN ANYONE SAVE ME.... I have fallen and I cant get up. Do you know where i can find a SA Hub that will work with my Windcheetah (stub axel setup)???

    I am in Reykjavik, Iceland, and I can vouch for their being NOT ONE in Iceland. Beer and a trike tour of rekjavik supplied if you ever make it over... and my eternal gratitude.

    sad and off the road,

    David

    ps: please feel free to email me off list if you prefer: [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Jay

    Jay Guest

    in article [email protected], David Wallach at [email protected] wrote
    on 7/15/03 7:10 AM:

    > Ok, time to grovel.
    >
    > I thought I made the deal of the century getting a used Windcheetah.. Arrived clean and shiney,
    > new tires and all... There I am riding, my second hour of bliss... child runs accross bike path,
    > soft hearted trike rider swerves, flips, shatters the outside lip of a 70mm Sturmey Archer Drum
    > Brake... I am fine, the child is fine, my rim is fine, all i need to do is get a new hub and
    > relace, right?... then the HORRROR really started...
    >
    > Sturmey is, of course, out of buis. and Sun race doesnt make the wheelchair style hubs anymore so
    > I am hunting DESPERATELY for a 36 hole 70mm Sturmey Archer Drum Brake... my only alternative is to
    > get two new wheels with Sachs (or the like) drumbrakes which will require new backplates etc...
    > $$$$ for a mountain of new kit when $ would have done it for a new hub...
    >
    > CAN ANYONE SAVE ME.... I have fallen and I cant get up. Do you know where i can find a SA Hub that
    > will work with my Windcheetah (stub axel setup)???
    >
    > I am in Reykjavik, Iceland, and I can vouch for their being NOT ONE in Iceland. Beer and a trike
    > tour of rekjavik supplied if you ever make it over... and my eternal gratitude.
    >

    > sad and off the road,
    >
    > David
    >

    > ps: please feel free to email me off list if you prefer: [email protected]

    Greenspeed used to stock this part and is familiar with the shattering problem. Contact them and see
    if they have advice. www.greenspeed.com.au

  3. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Jay <[email protected]> wrote in news:BB396482.17305%[email protected]:

    > in article [email protected], David Wallach at [email protected] wrote
    > on 7/15/03 7:10 AM:
    >
    >> Ok, time to grovel.
    >>
    >> I thought I made the deal of the century getting a used Windcheetah.. Arrived clean and shiney,
    >> new tires and all... There I am riding, my second hour of bliss... child runs accross bike path,
    >> soft hearted trike rider swerves, flips, shatters the outside lip of a 70mm Sturmey Archer Drum
    >> Brake... I am fine, the child is fine, my rim is fine, all i need to do is get a new hub and
    >> relace, right?... then the HORRROR really started...
    >>
    >> Sturmey is, of course, out of buis. and Sun race doesnt make the wheelchair style hubs anymore so
    >> I am hunting DESPERATELY for a 36 hole 70mm Sturmey Archer Drum Brake... my only alternative is
    >> to get two new wheels with Sachs (or the like) drumbrakes which will require new backplates
    >> etc... $$$$ for a mountain of new kit when $ would have done it for a new hub...
    >>
    >> CAN ANYONE SAVE ME.... I have fallen and I cant get up. Do you know where i can find a SA Hub
    >> that will work with my Windcheetah (stub axel setup)???
    >>
    >> I am in Reykjavik, Iceland, and I can vouch for their being NOT ONE in Iceland. Beer and a trike
    >> tour of rekjavik supplied if you ever make it over... and my eternal gratitude.
    >>

    >> sad and off the road,
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    >> ps: please feel free to email me off list if you prefer: [email protected]
    >
    > Greenspeed used to stock this part and is familiar with the shattering problem. Contact them and
    > see if they have advice. www.greenspeed.com.au

    That failing. I have an SA Elite (?)drum w/sealed cartridge bearings. It is one of a pair, the other
    having a broken hub flange. Sound familiar? the bearings take a 12mm shaft. I am not sure if it is
    exactly the same as what you need, but when you've exhausted other leads, you can e-mail me. I (and
    more importantly the hub) am in the USA. Rorschandt dreamland51 * at * comcast.net