HELP: SA Hub for a Windcheetah?!?!

David Wallach

New Member
Jul 15, 2003
Ok, time to grovel.

I thought I made the deal of the century getting a used Windcheetah.. Arrived clean and shiney, new tires and all... There I am riding, my second hour of bliss... child runs accross bike path, soft hearted trike rider swerves, flips, shatters the outside lip of a 70mm Sturmey Archer Drum Brake... I am fine, the child is fine, my rim is fine, all i need to do is get a new hub and relace, right?... then the HORRROR really started...

Sturmey is, of course, out of buis. and Sun race doesnt make the wheelchair style hubs anymore so I am hunting DESPERATELY for a 36 hole 70mm Sturmey Archer Drum Brake... my only alternative is to get two new wheels with Sachs (or the like) drumbrakes which will require new backplates etc... $$$$ for a mountain of new kit when $ would have done it for a new hub...

CAN ANYONE SAVE ME.... I have fallen and I cant get up. Do you know where i can find a SA Hub that will work with my Windcheetah (stub axel setup)???

I am in Reykjavik, Iceland, and I can vouch for their being NOT ONE in Iceland. Beer and a trike tour of rekjavik supplied if you ever make it over... and my eternal gratitude.

sad and off the road,

David

ps: please feel free to email me off list if you prefer: [email protected]

in article [email protected], David Wallach at [email protected] wrote
on 7/15/03 7:10 AM:

> Ok, time to grovel.
>
> I thought I made the deal of the century getting a used Windcheetah.. Arrived clean and shiney,
> new tires and all... There I am riding, my second hour of bliss... child runs accross bike path,
> soft hearted trike rider swerves, flips, shatters the outside lip of a 70mm Sturmey Archer Drum
> Brake... I am fine, the child is fine, my rim is fine, all i need to do is get a new hub and
> relace, right?... then the HORRROR really started...
>
> Sturmey is, of course, out of buis. and Sun race doesnt make the wheelchair style hubs anymore so
> I am hunting DESPERATELY for a 36 hole 70mm Sturmey Archer Drum Brake... my only alternative is to
> get two new wheels with Sachs (or the like) drumbrakes which will require new backplates etc...
> $$$$ for a mountain of new kit when $ would have done it for a new hub...
>
> CAN ANYONE SAVE ME.... I have fallen and I cant get up. Do you know where i can find a SA Hub that
> will work with my Windcheetah (stub axel setup)???
>
> I am in Reykjavik, Iceland, and I can vouch for their being NOT ONE in Iceland. Beer and a trike
> tour of rekjavik supplied if you ever make it over... and my eternal gratitude.
>

> sad and off the road,
>
> David
>

> ps: please feel free to email me off list if you prefer: [email protected]

Greenspeed used to stock this part and is familiar with the shattering problem. Contact them and see
if they have advice. www.greenspeed.com.au

Jay <[email protected]> wrote in news:BB396482.17305%[email protected]:

> in article [email protected], David Wallach at [email protected] wrote
> on 7/15/03 7:10 AM:
>
>> Ok, time to grovel.
>>
>> I thought I made the deal of the century getting a used Windcheetah.. Arrived clean and shiney,
>> new tires and all... There I am riding, my second hour of bliss... child runs accross bike path,
>> soft hearted trike rider swerves, flips, shatters the outside lip of a 70mm Sturmey Archer Drum
>> Brake... I am fine, the child is fine, my rim is fine, all i need to do is get a new hub and
>> relace, right?... then the HORRROR really started...
>>
>> Sturmey is, of course, out of buis. and Sun race doesnt make the wheelchair style hubs anymore so
>> I am hunting DESPERATELY for a 36 hole 70mm Sturmey Archer Drum Brake... my only alternative is
>> to get two new wheels with Sachs (or the like) drumbrakes which will require new backplates
>> etc... $$$$ for a mountain of new kit when $ would have done it for a new hub...
>>
>> CAN ANYONE SAVE ME.... I have fallen and I cant get up. Do you know where i can find a SA Hub
>> that will work with my Windcheetah (stub axel setup)???
>>
>> I am in Reykjavik, Iceland, and I can vouch for their being NOT ONE in Iceland. Beer and a trike
>> tour of rekjavik supplied if you ever make it over... and my eternal gratitude.
>>

>> sad and off the road,
>>
>> David
>>

>> ps: please feel free to email me off list if you prefer: [email protected]
>
> Greenspeed used to stock this part and is familiar with the shattering problem. Contact them and
> see if they have advice. www.greenspeed.com.au

That failing. I have an SA Elite (?)drum w/sealed cartridge bearings. It is one of a pair, the other
having a broken hub flange. Sound familiar? the bearings take a 12mm shaft. I am not sure if it is
exactly the same as what you need, but when you've exhausted other leads, you can e-mail me. I (and
more importantly the hub) am in the USA. Rorschandt dreamland51 * at * comcast.net