help selecting a touring bike?

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "Mark Scardiglia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I'm going to buy my first ever touring bike (as in bicycle touring, not as in hybrid) and was
> > > wondering if anyone can make some solid recommendations about particular models. I've been
> > > lusting after the Rivendell Atlantis ($$$$$), but have unearthed some satisfactory opinions of
> > > the Trek 520 in dejanews. For that matter, the Fuji Touring has gotten some mentions. I have a
> > > long history with racing type bikes, but am a complete touring newbie. This bike would serve
> > > as my commuter, too. Any help out there?
> >
> > Go for that cold steel or retro-boutique stuff if you want, but I'm a
> hi-tek
> > guy, I like the light, strong, stiff-yet-supple, quality of laser cut, precision *welded*,
> > big-toob, aluminum. Cannondale!
>

> I've got a '92 vintage T1000. Great bike.
>
> Robin Hubert

A Bob Jackson touring frame seems like an awfully good deal to me.

Mark,

Have you ever considered a recumbent? They come in suspension models as well.

John

"John D." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Mark,
>
> Have you ever considered a recumbent? They come in suspension models as well.
>
> John
>
> "Mark Scardiglia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I'm going to buy my first ever touring bike (as in bicycle touring, not as in hybrid) and was
> > wondering if anyone can make some solid recommendations about particular models. I've been
> > lusting after the Rivendell Atlantis ($$$$$), but have unearthed some satisfactory opinions of
> > the Trek 520 in dejanews.

Before deciding to update my custom touring bike, while doing some initial research looking at new
touring bikes, I came across writeups on the Trek
520. Evidentally, this is a nice bike for touring, but if this is going to be your only bike, you
should know that for club rides without loads writeups stated that it is somewhat sluggish.
Sounds like it would be best to have a second bike for fast rides too.

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 22:24:47 GMT, "Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Before deciding to update my custom touring bike, while doing some initial research looking at new
>touring bikes, I came across writeups on the Trek
>520. Evidentally, this is a nice bike for touring, but if this is going to be your only bike, you
> should know that for club rides without loads writeups stated that it is somewhat sluggish.
> Sounds like it would be best to have a second bike for fast rides too.
>
> For that matter, the Fuji Touring
>> > has gotten some mentions. I have a long history with racing type bikes, but am a complete
>> > touring newbie. This bike would serve as my commuter, too. Any help out there?

I tried a 520 last fall, and it was lovely. Almost ready to get one, but the Fuji would get jealous.
But back to the point; was the reviewer who called the Trek 520 "sluggish" one of those who would
tell you steel softens with age, or aluminum rides harsh, or one of the other old bromides? The 520
may not be twitchy enough to ride in a crit, or light enough to enter in a Cat 1 race, but if the
rider is good enough, I believe it would be quite at home in a fast club ride. It's only if the
rider can't quite keep up that he'd blame that bike.

Pat

"Patrick Lamb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 22:24:47 GMT, "Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >Before deciding to update my custom touring bike, while doing some
initial
> >research looking at new touring bikes, I came across writeups on the Trek
> >520. Evidentally, this is a nice bike for touring, but if this is going
> >be your only bike, you should know that for club rides without loads writeups stated that it is
> >somewhat sluggish. Sounds like it would be
best
> >to have a second bike for fast rides too.
> >
> > For that matter, the Fuji Touring
>
> I tried a 520 last fall, and it was lovely. Almost ready to get one, but the Fuji would get
> jealous. But back to the point; was the reviewer who called the Trek 520 "sluggish" one of those
> who would tell you steel softens with age, or aluminum rides harsh, or one of the other old
> bromides? The 520 may not be twitchy enough to ride in a crit, or light enough to enter in a Cat 1
> race, but if the rider is good enough, I believe it would be quite at home in a fast club ride.
> It's only if the rider can't quite keep up that he'd blame that bike.

Ya, kinda like when I showed up on a training ride with my drop-bar converted mtb with 1.5" slicks.
No-one could believe it when I didn't fall off the back.

Robin Hubert