help selecting new cranks for 24" uni.

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by fordfasterr, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. fordfasterr

    fordfasterr Guest

    Hey all, new member here.

    I have a 24" ebay unicycle.

    It came to me with the crank arms on the wrong sides.. so I kept
    unscrewing the pedals... then after tightening them over and over like
    5 times, I managed to strip the threads on the right side crank
    arm......

    So, I realized the issue but it was 2 late..

    I grabbed an old set of sugino 170mm road cranks and bolted them up and
    they work fine, but they look funny with the spider on one side with a
    missing chainring.. lol

    My question is what is a good length for cranks for a 24" uni ?

    I want to learn some tricks and other things that I've seen so I wanted
    some suggestions before I order something.

    I can go from 140 mm all the way to 175 mm .

    ???? Which one to go with ?

    --
    fordfasterr
    fordfasterr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11890

  2. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

  3. fordfasterr

    fordfasterr Guest

    manon1wheel wrote:
    > picture/ brand?
    >
    > that would be helpful

    The brand is " Gravity " ... I know that some other people on this site
    started on this brand.

    Its got a steel rim and had some crappy cast cranks..

    Anyway, the point is that I need to select cranks with proper length
    for learning to do tricks and such on a 24" wheel.

    =)

    --
    fordfasterr
    fordfasterr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11890

  4. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

  5. tholub

    tholub Guest

    If you're not going to do MUni, you want short to medium-length cranks.
    I prefer 125mm, which make for a fairly smooth and quick ride. Some
    tricks will be easier to learn on slightly longer cranks; 140mm might
    be a good size. I'd be pretty reluctant to go longer than that on a
    24", unless it was for MUni.

    --
    tholub

  6. fordfasterr

    fordfasterr Guest

    phlegm wrote:
    > For "just learning" get 150s. For freestyle you might want shorter, and
    > for muni you might want longer.

    Thanks !

    The stock cranks are in the 150mm range...

    I suppose those would be good enough for learning basic tricks.

    I already know how to ride (leared on saturday), but now I wanted to
    get started on some tricks !

    WOOT !

    --
    fordfasterr
    fordfasterr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11890

  7. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

  8. fordfasterr

    fordfasterr Guest

    Thanks for all the info!!

    I'm ordering a set of 140mm Cranks !

    I looked everywhere for uni cranks and I could not find them, so I
    ordered some BMX cranks with 5 tooth spider, I will use my angle
    grinder to remove them easily. =)

    I know.. its stupid, but for $ 20 new .. =)

    --
    fordfasterr
    fordfasterr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11890

  9. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

  10. One on one

    One on one Guest

    http://aebike.com/index.cfm has Sugino cranks. You can get left and
    right crank arms made for tandems. No spider to have to remove. Good
    prices and many sizes.

    --
    One on one

    Amazing. YOU'RE a waffler too!! And we BOTH unicycle! We're just the
    same! That's why I like you, Greg!
    -BillyTheMountain

    You ARE me, you silly goose.
    -Greg Harper
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

  11. fordfasterr

    fordfasterr Guest

    Thanks for the good links... but its a little late for me !

    Anyway, the cranks I ordered are the doteks.. they are 140 mm.

    unicycle.com sells them customized @ different lengths for $ 67.

    So, after 15 minutes with my grinder, I'll have the same thing. lol

    --
    fordfasterr
    fordfasterr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11890

  12. fordfasterr

    fordfasterr Guest

    fordfasterr wrote:

    > Anyway, the cranks I ordered are the doteks.. they are 140 mm.
    >
    > unicycle.com sells them customized @ different lengths for $ 67.

    Correction.. I got a set of 140mm Bulletproof BMX cranks. I paid $ 21
    for them NEW on ebay.

    I will modify them and install them on my ebay uni this weekend ! =)

    I have a Gravity 24" uni with a standard seat...

    Here you go:

    [image: http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/BF_Cranks_140mm.JPG]

    --
    fordfasterr

    Fav Quotes:
    A. {Great minds discuss ideas, Average minds discuss events, Small
    minds discuss people.}
    B. {The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.}
    AIM SN: FordFasteR - 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636R carfree.com whyquit.com
    fordfasterr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11890

  13. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    140 should be a good size for tricks on a 24". 125 would be too short
    for lots of types of things; that's a good size for 20". Plus, 140 is
    short enough for reasonable cruising speed on the 24".

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
    and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
    Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine