Help setting up baisc tool kit

The Eye

Guest
I am going to start to work on my bike,. Right now I need to repack the
wheel bearings and I want to inspect and clean the bottom bracket.

I ordered a Bicycle Magazines repair book and I would appreciate any advice
on the basic specialty tolos I will need.

I have a good set of sockets and crescent wrenches , etc. So I need help
with the more unique tools designed for bike repair.

I see kits from web sires and bike nashbar for $45 on sale and maybe I
should just grab that but they include screw drivers and wrenches I already
have.

Thanks

The Eye said:
I am going to start to work on my bike,. Right now I need to repack the
wheel bearings and I want to inspect and clean the bottom bracket.

I ordered a Bicycle Magazines repair book and I would appreciate any advice
on the basic specialty tolos I will need.

I have a good set of sockets and crescent wrenches , etc. So I need help
with the more unique tools designed for bike repair.

I see kits from web sires and bike nashbar for $45 on sale and maybe I
should just grab that but they include screw drivers and wrenches I already
have.

Thanks

<http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/toollists.shtml>

Find a local shop that carries Park Tools and/or Pedro's.
Start with the cone wrench sizes you need.
An Allen 4/5/6 mm wrench is very handy, but if you already have those Allen Wrench sizes you can skip it.
A Venier caliper with metric calibration is handy, as is something to size ball bearings.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:46:19 -0400, "The Eye"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am going to start to work on my bike,. Right now I need to repack the
>wheel bearings and I want to inspect and clean the bottom bracket.
>
>I ordered a Bicycle Magazines repair book and I would appreciate any advice
>on the basic specialty tolos I will need.
>
>I have a good set of sockets and crescent wrenches , etc. So I need help
>with the more unique tools designed for bike repair.

My advice: Get cone wrenches first, as you'll need them immediately.
Before you try to take the BB apart, look closely at it; many are
built using sealed bearings, and there's essentially nothing to
service on them. If you can spin the cranks with the chain removed
and hear no crunchy rumbles, and if there's no play in the BB, you may
find that your time is better spent on other things. To remove the
BB, you'll need a crank arm puller just to get to the point where you
can work on the BB, and then you'll need the tools to remove the BB
itself. There are a number of designs possible, each of which uses
different tools; you just have to see what kind of BB is present, and
buy accordingly.

>I see kits from web sires and bike nashbar for $45 on sale and maybe I
>should just grab that but they include screw drivers and wrenches I already
>have.

Yes, they do, but often you can still get a good deal with some of
those. Unfortunately, sometimes they don't include the specific stuff
that you need, and sometimes they're not shop-quality...though usually
they're good enough for the hobbyist. Compare the prices of the
individual items with the price of the kit, allow for a "cheap tools
in some kits" adjustment if it seems warranted, and then decide.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

The Eye wrote:
> I am going to start to work on my bike,. Right now I need to repack the
> wheel bearings and I want to inspect and clean the bottom bracket.
>
> I ordered a Bicycle Magazines repair book and I would appreciate any advice
> on the basic specialty tolos I will need.
>
> I have a good set of sockets and crescent wrenches , etc. So I need help
> with the more unique tools designed for bike repair.
>
> I see kits from web sires and bike nashbar for $45 on sale and maybe I
> should just grab that but they include screw drivers and wrenches I already
> have.

If you can find an intermediate-level kit for sale somewhere, it can be
far cheaper than buying the individual tools as you go along. Yes, they
have screwdrivers and stuff you already have, and they may not have a
couple of tools you'll need, but if you total them up, the on-sale
toolkit can be half the price. You can just browse the site for the
bike-specific tools to compare.

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 03:20:35 GMT, Collin <[email protected]> wrote:

>The Eye wrote:
>> I am going to start to work on my bike,. Right now I need to repack the
>> wheel bearings and I want to inspect and clean the bottom bracket.
>>
>> I ordered a Bicycle Magazines repair book and I would appreciate any advice
>> on the basic specialty tolos I will need.
>>
>> I have a good set of sockets and crescent wrenches , etc. So I need help
>> with the more unique tools designed for bike repair.
>>
>> I see kits from web sires and bike nashbar for $45 on sale and maybe I
>> should just grab that but they include screw drivers and wrenches I already
>> have.
>>

>If you can find an intermediate-level kit for sale somewhere, it can be
>far cheaper than buying the individual tools as you go along. Yes, they
>have screwdrivers and stuff you already have, and they may not have a
>couple of tools you'll need, but if you total them up, the on-sale
>toolkit can be half the price. You can just browse the site for the
>bike-specific tools to compare.
>
>> Thanks

Hi, I bought the Nashbar kit last year, I got it on sale. It is worth
it for the speciality tools, the crank puller, pedal wrench, bottom
bracket tool, cassette tool, chain tool, and chain whip. I think it
paid for itself the first time I used it.
I upgraded everything on my bike, but the fork, headset, and brakes.
The only other speciality tool I bought, was a cable and housing
cutter. I do own a lot of good basic tools.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=3521&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

You might be able to save 10% if you use code W194 [might expire on
9-13] or try W195

Life is Good!
Jeff

get a large jawed pipe wrench with 6 inch handles-with adjustable jaw
width slots-fits around an older style cone and ball bb and the pulley
cage for chain alignment. and!! titans the headset after yawl file a
nut down to fit the parks tool.
and a good torch.
and a large vise grips.