Help - Shimano gear block removal without special tool?

Colin McKenzie

Guest
Hi, bike experts.

Due to a banana-shaped wheel and an overworked bike shop, I need to transfer a Shimano blick of
gears from one wheel to another - preferably in time for tomorrow (Monday)'s commute.

I understand I have to unscrew a metal cap which has a hole in the middle with little round
notches in it.

Is this a right-hand thread? Does it unscrew relative to the cogs, or do they all turn together?

I removed the axle, but that didn't seem to help.

Ideas?

TIA

Colin McKenzieo

Colin McKenzie wrote:
> I understand I have to unscrew a metal cap which has a hole in the middle with little round
> notches in it.

Thats the puppy.

> Is this a right-hand thread?

Yes.

> Does it unscrew relative to the cogs, or do they all turn together?

You have to hold the cogs steady to unscrew it, usually using a chain whip.

> I removed the axle, but that didn't seem to help.

It does help if you are going to use the Shimano cassette lockring removal tool.

> Ideas?

This lockring will be on pretty tight, if it was installed correctly. The correct tools are a real
advantage in getting these off (Halfords closes shortly on Sundays!). The first movement will sound
horrendous (like something broke) because the touching surfaces have serations on them to stop it
coming loose. Make sure to put them back on tight aswell.

HTH

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Jim Price wrote:
> Colin McKenzie wrote:
>> I removed the axle, but that didn't seem to help.
>

> It does help if you are going to use the Shimano cassette lockring removal tool.

I should have added: If its a solid axle - a quick release axle does not need to be removed.

--

Jim Price wrote:
> Colin McKenzie wrote:
> > Is this a right-hand thread?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Does it unscrew relative to the cogs, or do they all turn together?
>
> You have to hold the cogs steady to unscrew it, usually using a chain whip.
>
> > I removed the axle, but that didn't seem to help.
>
> It does help if you are going to use the Shimano cassette lockring removal tool.
>
> > Ideas?
>
> This lockring will be on pretty tight, if it was installed correctly. The correct tools are a real
> advantage in getting these off (Halfords closes shortly on Sundays!).

Thank you very much. Additional force will now be applied!

Colin McKenzie

"Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> them to stop it coming loose. Make sure to put them back on tight aswell.

I don't think it has to be put back on tight, as long as it doesn't work loose its ok. On my bike
hand tightness has always been fine.

Jim Price wrote:
> Colin McKenzie wrote:
>> I understand I have to unscrew a metal cap which has a hole in the middle with little round
>> notches in it.
>
> Thats the puppy.
>
>> Is this a right-hand thread?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Does it unscrew relative to the cogs, or do they all turn together?
>
> You have to hold the cogs steady to unscrew it, usually using a chain whip.
>
>> I removed the axle, but that didn't seem to help.
>
> It does help if you are going to use the Shimano cassette lockring removal tool.
>
>> Ideas?
>
> This lockring will be on pretty tight, if it was installed correctly. The correct tools are a real
> advantage in getting these off (Halfords closes shortly on Sundays!). The first movement will
> sound horrendous (like something broke) because the touching surfaces have serations on them to
> stop it coming loose. Make sure to put them back on tight aswell.

I've just carried out the above procedure. I needed to change a worn out chain and cassette. This
is the first time I've ever done it an I was expecting to have to use a lot of force to remove the
locking ring but no I needed virtually no force at all. The cassette was swapped from a buckled
wheel last year by Edinburgh cycles and I assumed that because I removed it without much force I
did not need to put the new one on with much. Should I go back out and get all oily again to
tighten it up?
--
Mark

I'm getting something special built for me.