Help Sizing Redline Metro 9

raefkwon

Jul 19, 2010
I am a beginner buying a new bike to be used around the city I live in for errands, commuting sometimes, taking my child around in a child seat, and some recreation for myself once in awhile.

I've pretty much settled on the bike, the Redline Metro 9, but I'm having the hardest time choosing between the 54 cm and the 52 cm. I am 5'9'', or just under that. I measured my bike inseam yesterday, it's around 32.5 inches if I did it right (barefoot, book between my legs, etc...).

I've gone out on several rides in both sizes. Both feel good, a little tiredness in my back and butt with both but I attribute that to just being a new rider. For some reason I can't put my finger on I think I feel a little better on the bigger bike, but I'm worried it's just a little too tall for me, and might be unwiedly with the child on board.

Anyone have any general or specific suggestions for me? I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

FWIW. I'm 5'9" ... and, I would be inclined toward selecting the 52cm frame because of the slacker head tube angle ...

In addition, the 56.4cm top tube lends itself toward an easy conversion to a DROP BAR bike if that is a possible future consideration.

BTW. If you feel that the larger frame is more comfortable on your test rides then I would suggest that you get the smaller, 52cm frame & simply replace the stubby 80mm stem that is standard on the 52cm frame with a 110mm or 120mm stem.

BTW2/IMO. A cheap trailer is ALWAYS a better/safer choice than a child seat on the back of the bike.

Hey thanks!

As I said, any advice is really appreciated. I think you're right, I should get the 52 probably and make other adjustments if need be.

Anyone else have thoughts?