Help, Southern Fried Chops?

Richard'S ~Ja~

Guest
Hoping someone here can help me with what turned out to be
bad cooking some time back. In memory of the very good
seasoned, flour breaded and then fried pork chops my mother
made years ago, I tried to make them. She may have used a
tiny bit of garlic, along with just a bit of salt and
(more) pepper in the flour coating for bone-in pork chops
she pan-fried that were so very good. Starting with 1"
thick boneless pork peices and being a rather new and loving-
them Penzeys spice blends user, I used just the Bavarian
blend with a little salt and pepper in my flour; I medium-
fire fried each side (gas stove) in EVO, and they were not
only less than the "tasty" I expected, they were much too
dry to enjoy.

Please, prep and seasoning suggestions here today, and thank
you so much!

Picky ~JA~

Richard's ~JA~ wrote:
> Hoping someone here can help me with what turned out to be
> bad cooking some time back. In memory of the very good
> seasoned, flour breaded and then fried pork chops my
> mother made years ago, I tried to make them. She may have
> used a tiny bit of garlic, along with just a bit of salt
> and (more) pepper in the flour coating for bone-in pork
> chops she pan-fried that were so very good. Starting with
> 1" thick boneless pork peices and being a rather new and
> loving-them Penzeys spice blends user, I used just the
> Bavarian blend with a little salt and pepper in my flour;
> I medium-fire fried each side (gas stove) in EVO, and they
> were not only less than the "tasty" I expected, they were
> much too dry to enjoy.
>
> Please, prep and seasoning suggestions here today, and
> thank you so much!
>
> Picky ~JA~

Well, first of all your mother didn't use 1" thick boneless
pork. Buy some regular bone-in chops, about 1/2" thick. I
love Penzey's spices too, but hey, your mom had a method to
her madness. Season some flour with salt, pepper and some
garlic powder. Either dredge the chops wet in this mixture
or perhaps first dip in an egg wash (beaten egg with a
little water) then dredge. Cook in hot oil until golden
brown on each side. Good luck!

Jill

To the request for help with southern fried pork chops,
[email protected] replies....
>Well, first of all your mother didn't use 1" thick boneless
>pork. Buy some regular bone-in chops, about 1/2" thick. I
>love Penzey's spices too, but hey, your mom had a method to
>her madness.
I've learned from an especially good "old fashioned" cooking
friend tonight exactly that, 'twas the need for less
thickness and especially the bone-in chops. She stated that
the boneless are better used in other ways and will most
always become too dry when fried. So, because these are the
cut I have already in wait for cooking, I opened my book of
prints from this group to find Pastorio's tell of brining
meats. The tomorrow to be fried boneless cuts are now in the
refrigerator soaking up flavorings and moisture in hope that
a dry wipe and flour dredge tomorrow may see them fried more
juicy than my last attempt.
>Season some flour with salt, pepper and some garlic powder.
>Either dredge the chops wet in this mixture or perhaps
>first dip in an egg wash (beaten egg with a little water)
>then dredge. Cook in hot oil until golden brown on each
>side. Good luck!
Exactly my plan for tomorrow, minus the egg wash, and thank
you so much for the memory jogging input, JMcQ!

Picky ~JA~

Richard's ~JA~ wrote:
> To the request for help with southern fried pork chops,
> [email protected] replies....
>> Well, first of all your mother didn't use 1" thick
>> boneless pork. Buy some regular bone-in chops, about 1/2"
>> thick. I love Penzey's spices too, but hey, your mom had
>> a method to her madness.
> I've learned from an especially good "old fashioned"
> cooking friend tonight exactly that, 'twas the need for
> less thickness and especially the bone-in chops. She
> stated that the boneless are better used in other ways and
> will most always become too dry when fried. So, because
> these are the cut I have already in wait for cooking, I
> opened my book of prints from this group to find
> Pastorio's tell of brining meats. The tomorrow to be fried
> boneless cuts are now in the refrigerator soaking up
> flavorings and moisture in hope that a dry wipe and flour
> dredge tomorrow may see them fried more juicy than my last
> attempt.
>> Season some flour with salt, pepper and some garlic
>> powder. Either dredge the chops wet in this mixture or
>> perhaps first dip in an egg wash (beaten egg with a
>> little water) then dredge. Cook in hot oil until golden
>> brown on each side. Good luck!
> Exactly my plan for tomorrow, minus the egg wash, and
> thank you so much for the memory jogging input, JMcQ!
>
> Picky ~JA~

You are quite welcome :) Hopefully you will enjoy the chops!

I use the boneless chops like chicken or turkey medallions;
I pound them flat, salt & pepper; quickly pan sear them in
butter and olive oil; add garlic and onion, some white wine;
simmer to reduce the liquid and cook through. Sprinkle with
chopped parsley and add some lemon slices or zest.

Jill

That sounds good, but it is about as Southern as an egg
cream. Traditionally we use thin (1/2 inch or so) bone-in
chops, season them well, dip into an egg wash, and then
dredge through flour. You can season the flour, but I think
sometimes that burns too easily. Shake the excess off and
fry until golden brown. Momma used lard or Crisco, but I
don't think you have to be that literal.

The egg wash is optional as well. I think the best chops
I ever had were simply seasoned with salt and pepper,
dusted with flour, and fried. Simple, yet unbelievably
good. Good luck!

Hey, I never said the boneless chops were 'Southern' :)

> Traditionally we use thin (1/2 inch or so) bone-in chops,
> season them well, dip into an egg wash, and then dredge
> through flour. You can season the flour, but I think
> sometimes that burns too easily. Shake the excess off and
> fry until golden brown. Momma used lard or Crisco, but I
> don't think you have to be that literal.

Nope, corn oil or canola oil works just as well :)

> The egg wash is optional as well. I think the best chops I
> ever had were simply seasoned with salt and pepper, dusted
> with flour, and fried. Simple, yet unbelievably good. Good
> luck! "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Richard's ~JA~ wrote:
>>> To the request for help with southern fried pork chops,
>>> [email protected] replies....
>>> I've learned from an especially good "old fashioned"
>>> cooking friend tonight exactly that, 'twas the need for
>>> less thickness and especially the bone-in chops. She
>>> stated that the boneless are better used in other ways
>>> and will most always become too dry when fried. So,
>>> because these are the cut I have already in wait for
>>> cooking, I opened my book of prints from this group to
>>> find Pastorio's tell of brining meats. The tomorrow to
>>> be fried boneless cuts are now in the refrigerator
>>> soaking up flavorings and moisture in hope that a dry
>>> wipe and flour dredge tomorrow may see them fried more
>>> juicy than my last attempt.
>>> Exactly my plan for tomorrow, minus the egg wash, and
>>> thank you so much for the memory jogging input, JMcQ!
>>>
>>> Picky ~JA~
>>
>> You are quite welcome :) Hopefully you will enjoy
>> the chops!
>>
>> I use the boneless chops like chicken or turkey
>> medallions; I pound them flat, salt & pepper; quickly pan
>> sear them in butter and olive oil; add garlic and onion,
>> some white wine; simmer to reduce the liquid and cook
>> through. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and add some lemon
>> slices or zest.
>>
>> Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Pizen wrote:
> > That sounds good, but it is about as Southern as an egg
> > cream.
>
> Hey, I never said the boneless chops were 'Southern' :)
>
> > Traditionally we use thin (1/2 inch or so) bone-in
> > chops, season them well, dip into an egg wash, and then
> > dredge through flour. You can season the flour, but I
> > think sometimes that burns too easily. Shake the excess
> > off and fry until golden brown. Momma used lard or
> > Crisco, but I don't think you have to be that literal.
>
> Nope, corn oil or canola oil works just as well :)

EVOO! ;-)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and
they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

Pizen wrote:

> That sounds good, but it is about as Southern as an
> egg cream.

Argh. I got a craving for an egg cream last week when he
introduced his Texan girlfriend to one (she tried it with
trepidation and pronounced it ... Hey, it's good! like
generations of New Yorkers could be wrong?) ... now you
had to bring it up again. I must get to the store for
Fox's U Bet!!!

nancy

Richard's ~JA~ wrote:

> Hoping someone here can help me with what turned out to be
> bad cooking some time back. In memory of the very good
> seasoned, flour breaded and then fried pork chops my
> mother made years ago, I tried to make them. She may have
> used a tiny bit of garlic, along with just a bit of salt
> and (more) pepper in the flour coating for bone-in pork
> chops she pan-fried that were so very good. Starting with
> 1" thick boneless pork peices and being a rather new and
> loving-them Penzeys spice blends user, I used just the
> Bavarian blend with a little salt and pepper in my flour;
> I medium-fire fried each side (gas stove) in EVO, and they
> were not only less than the "tasty" I expected, they were
> much too dry to enjoy.
>
> Please, prep and seasoning suggestions here today, and
> thank you so much!
>
> Picky ~JA~

Try using pork chops with the bone in. The water-injected
boneless pork 'steaks' most US supermarkets carry will
nearly always cook up dry.

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pizen wrote:
> >
> > That sounds good, but it is about as Southern as an egg
> > cream.
>
> Argh. I got a craving for an egg cream last week when he
> introduced his Texan girlfriend to one (she tried it with
> trepidation and pronounced it ... Hey, it's good! like
> generations of New Yorkers could be wrong?) ... now you
> had to bring it up again. I must get to the store for
> Fox's U Bet!!!
>
> nancy

Okay, gotta ask.........What in the hell is an egg
cream? kili

in article [email protected], Nancy Young at
[email protected] wrote on 3/28/04 10:42 AM:

> Pizen wrote:
>>
>> That sounds good, but it is about as Southern as an
>> egg cream.
>
> Argh. I got a craving for an egg cream last week when he
> introduced his Texan girlfriend to one (she tried it with
> trepidation and pronounced it ... Hey, it's good! like
> generations of New Yorkers could be wrong?) ... now you
> had to bring it up again. I must get to the store for
> Fox's U Bet!!!
>
> nancy

Saw it yesterday in a squeeze plastic bottle. I was highly
offended! Although, it is infinitely easier to control.
Still...UBet needs to come from a jar. I never did send away
for the pump thingy for it.

Now, the jar may be history. Which means the one in my
fridge may be collectible!!! LOL

I don't use it often, and a jar can last me 2 years,
but there is always a jar of it in my fridge. Always
was, growing up. Even in college, I had a jar of Ubet
in the fridge.

in article [email protected], kilikini at
[email protected] wrote on 3/28/04 11:35 AM:

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Pizen wrote:
>>>
>>> That sounds good, but it is about as Southern as an egg
>>> cream.
>>
>> Argh. I got a craving for an egg cream last week when he
>> introduced his Texan girlfriend to one (she tried it with
>> trepidation and pronounced it ... Hey, it's good! like
>> generations of New Yorkers could be wrong?) ... now you
>> had to bring it up again. I must get to the store for
>> Fox's U Bet!!!
>>
>> nancy
>
> Okay, gotta ask.........What in the hell is an egg
> cream? kili

go here: http://www.foxs-syrups.com/egg_cream.html

and read for yourself!!!

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> [email protected] wrote on 3/28/04 11:35 AM:

> >> Argh. I got a craving for an egg cream last week when
> >> he introduced his Texan girlfriend to one (she tried it
> >> with trepidation and pronounced it ... Hey, it's good!
> >> like generations of New Yorkers could be wrong?) ...
> >> now you had to bring it up again. I must get to the
> >> store for Fox's U Bet!!!

> >> nancy
> >
> > Okay, gotta ask.........What in the hell is an egg
> > cream?

> go here: http://www.foxs-syrups.com/egg_cream.html
>
> and read for yourself!!!

Cute site, Sheryl. I was going to ask you to post the recipe
as I don't trust my memory.

nancy

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> in article [email protected],
> kilikini at [email protected] wrote on 3/28/04
> 11:35 AM:
>

>> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Argh. I got a craving for an egg cream last week when he
>>> introduced his Texan girlfriend to one (she tried it
>>> with trepidation and pronounced it ... Hey, it's good!
>>> like generations of New Yorkers could be wrong?) ... now
>>> you had to bring it up again. I must get to the store
>>> for Fox's U Bet!!!
>>>
>>> nancy
>>
>> Okay, gotta ask.........What in the hell is an egg
>> cream? kili
>>

> go here: http://www.foxs-syrups.com/egg_cream.html
>
> and read for yourself!!!

Thanks for that link! I've never seen (or heard of) egg
creams except in this newsgroup, and have always (since
the first thread I read) wanted to try them. The page says
in Florida, I can find "Fox's U Bet" in Publix
Supermarkets. I'll have to check. What section of the
store would I look in?

BOB

in article [email protected], Nancy Young at

> Sheryl Rosen wrote:

>>> Okay, gotta ask.........What in the hell is an egg
>>> cream?
>
>> go here: http://www.foxs-syrups.com/egg_cream.html
>>
>> and read for yourself!!!
>
> Cute site, Sheryl. I was going to ask you to post the
> recipe as I don't trust my memory.
>
> nancy

It's basically 3 ingredients, on that everyone agrees. Milk,
Ubet, seltzer.

The real arguments happen when the discussion turns to
technique. What goes in first, the milk or the ubet? How
much of each? Seltzer from a bottle? Seltzer from a siphon?

"Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BC8C771E.49EF7%[email protected]...
> in article [email protected],
> kilikini at [email protected] wrote on 3/28/04
> 11:35 AM:
>

> > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]...

> >> Argh. I got a craving for an egg cream last week when
> >> he introduced his Texan girlfriend to one (she tried it
> >> with trepidation and pronounced it ... Hey, it's good!
> >> like generations of New Yorkers could be wrong?) ...
> >> now you had to bring it up again. I must get to the
> >> store for Fox's U Bet!!!
> >>
> >> nancy
> >
> > Okay, gotta ask.........What in the hell is an egg
> > cream? kili
> >

> go here: http://www.foxs-syrups.com/egg_cream.html
>
> and read for yourself!!!

There isn't any egg in it! And what's U Bet? Is that like
Hershey's? kili

in article [email protected], kilikini at

> "Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BC8C771E.49EF7%[email protected]...
>> in article [email protected],
>> kilikini at [email protected] wrote on 3/28/04
>> 11:35 AM:
>>

>>> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>> message news:[email protected]...

>>> Okay, gotta ask.........What in the hell is an egg
>>> cream? kili
>>>

>> go here: http://www.foxs-syrups.com/egg_cream.html
>>
>> and read for yourself!!!
>>

> There isn't any egg in it! And what's U Bet? Is that like
> Hershey's? kili

well they are both chocolate syrup.

in article [email protected], BOB at

> Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>> in article [email protected],
>> kilikini at [email protected] wrote on 3/28/04
>> 11:35 AM:
>>

>>> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>> message news:[email protected]...

>>> Okay, gotta ask.........What in the hell is an egg
>>> cream? kili
>>>

>> go here: http://www.foxs-syrups.com/egg_cream.html
>>
>> and read for yourself!!!
>
> Thanks for that link! I've never seen (or heard of) egg
> creams except in this newsgroup, and have always (since
> the first thread I read) wanted to try them. The page says
> in Florida, I can find "Fox's U Bet" in Publix
> Supermarkets. I'll have to check. What section of the
> store would I look in?
>
> BOB

It might be in one of two places. It should be next to
Hershey's syrup and Nestles Quick, but it could also be in
the "kosher" aisle.

This time of year, it might even be by the Passover items.
Which means it's made with sugar, not corn syrup.