Help, Southern Fried Chops?

"Richard's ~JA~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hoping someone here can help me with what turned out to be
> bad cooking some time back. In memory of the very good
> seasoned, flour breaded and then fried pork chops my
> mother made years ago, I tried to make them. She may have
> used a tiny bit of garlic, along with just a bit of salt
> and (more) pepper in the flour coating for bone-in pork
> chops she pan-fried that were so very good. Starting with
> 1" thick boneless pork peices and being a rather new and
> loving-them Penzeys spice blends user, I used just the
> Bavarian blend with a little salt and pepper in my flour;
> I medium-fire fried each side (gas stove) in EVO, and they
> were not only less than the "tasty" I expected, they were
> much too dry to enjoy.
>
> Please, prep and seasoning suggestions here today, and
> thank you so much!

First and foremost, stop using that ridiculously overpriced
Penzey's shite, your tastes buds will thank you for it.
Next, use thinner bone-in chops. You said your mother used
salt, pepper, and a bit of garlic to flour her bone-in
chops. So why did you think that 1 inch boneless pork with
that gawdawful Bavarian blend was going to recreate the dish
she made? What a

"projectile vomit chick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Richard's ~JA~" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:17087-406619C8-81@storefull-
> 3198.bay.webtv.net...
> > Hoping someone here can help me with what turned out to
> > be bad cooking some time back. In memory of the very
> > good seasoned, flour breaded and then fried pork chops
> > my mother made years ago, I tried to make them. She may
> > have used a tiny bit of garlic, along with just a bit of
> > salt and (more) pepper in the flour coating for bone-in
> > pork chops she pan-fried that were so very good.
> > Starting with 1" thick boneless pork peices and being a
> > rather new and loving-them Penzeys spice blends user, I
> > used just the Bavarian blend with a little salt and
> > pepper in my flour; I medium-fire fried each side (gas
> > stove) in EVO, and they were not only less than the
> > "tasty" I expected, they were much too dry to enjoy.
> >
> > Please, prep and seasoning suggestions here today, and
> > thank you so much!
>
> First and foremost, stop using that ridiculously
> overpriced Penzey's
shite,
> your tastes buds will thank you for it. Next, use thinner
> bone-in chops. You said your mother used salt, pepper,
> and a bit of garlic to flour her bone-in chops. So why
> did you think that 1 inch boneless pork with that
> gawdawful Bavarian blend was going to recreate the dish
> she made? What a

That should have read "your taste buds", not "your
tastes buds".

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:18:16 -0800 (PST), [email protected]
(Richard's ~JA~) wrote:

>Hoping someone here can help me with what turned out to be
>bad cooking some time back. In memory of the very good
>seasoned, flour breaded and then fried pork chops my mother
>made years ago, I tried to make them. She may have used a
>tiny bit of garlic, along with just a bit of salt and
>(more) pepper in the flour coating for bone-in pork chops
>she pan-fried that were so very good. Starting with 1"
>thick boneless pork peices and being a rather new and loving-
>them Penzeys spice blends user, I used just the Bavarian
>blend with a little salt and pepper in my flour; I medium-
>fire fried each side (gas stove) in EVO, and they were not
>only less than the "tasty" I expected, they were much too
>dry to enjoy.
>
>Please, prep and seasoning suggestions here today, and
>thank you so much!
>
> Picky ~JA~

I fried some delicious pork chops for my wife last week. It
was easy! Just get one of these pork chop fryers from Nesco,
check out this link: http://www.nesco.com/products/product.-
phtml?id=14&category=400

Go down the aisle with the cake mixes at the grocery store,
pick out a box of "breading mix" for frying pork chops. It
is basically flour with some spices you pour in a plastic
bag, then just run some water over the chops and shake it
off, drop the chop in the plastic bag and shake it up to
coat it with the flour mixture. (If you do the egg wash deal
first it makes more of the flour stick to the chop for a
"thicker crust"). Now here is the kewl part with the Nesco
fryer, drop three or four chops in the basket and dunk in in
the hot peanut oil to fry for about three or four minutes.
They come out golden brown and delicious cooked just like
McDonalds cooks the french fries! Try it you'll like it!

Regards, Bill

[email protected] (Bill) shares his procedure
and link....
>I fried some delicious pork chops for my wife last week. It
>was easy! Just get one of these pork chop fryers from
>Nesco, check out this link:
>http://www.nesco.com/products/product
>phtml?id=14&category=400 Go down the aisle with the cake
>mixes at the grocery store, pick out a box of "breading
>mix" for frying pork chops. It is basically flour with some
>spices you pour in a plastic bag, then just run some water
>over the chops and shake it off, drop the chop in the
>plastic bag and shake it up to coat it with the flour
>mixture. (If you do the egg wash deal first it makes more
>of the flour stick to the chop for a "thicker crust"). Now
>here is the kewl part with the Nesco fryer, drop three or
>four chops in the basket and dunk in in the hot peanut oil
>to fry for about three or four minutes. They come out
>golden brown and delicious cooked just like McDonalds cooks
>the french fries! Try it you'll like it! Regards, Bill
I have already posted anew to rave about Pastorio's brining
method working fantastic for the pork cuts that usually come
out too dry, and I will continue use brining for this.
Getting any sort of deep fryer would only see use here once
a month or so, and I also don't care to have such an amount
of oil wasted.

But your tell of the breading mix intrigues, as my own
freshly ground sea salt & Sarawak pepper flour dredge was
not as good as I'd hoped. The brined first cutlets were
wonderfully moist and tender, but the breading just may need
your suggestion, thanks!

Picky ~JA~

[email protected] (Richard's ~JA~) wrote in news:17088-406783C2-
[email protected]:

> The brined first cutlets were wonderfully moist and
> tender, but the breading just may need your
> suggestion, thanks!

Try a little oj concentrate in the brine or lime-ade
concentrate. Panko crumbs are nice.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
nothing but food and water.

[email protected] (Richard's ~JA~) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hoping someone here can help me with what turned out to be
> bad cooking some time back. In memory of the very good
> seasoned, flour breaded and then fried pork chops my
> mother made years ago, I tried to make them. She may have
> used a tiny bit of garlic, along with just a bit of salt
> and (more) pepper in the flour coating for bone-in pork
> chops she pan-fried that were so very good. Starting with
> 1" thick boneless pork peices and being a rather new and
> loving-them Penzeys spice blends user, I used just the
> Bavarian blend with a little salt and pepper in my flour;
> I medium-fire fried each side (gas stove) in EVO, and they
> were not only less than the "tasty" I expected, they were
> much too dry to enjoy.
>
> Please, prep and seasoning suggestions here today, and
> thank you so much!
>
> Picky ~JA~

I see other good responses about the method of cooking, but
one thing you should remember is that pork today isn't like
pork "years ago." If you can, find a butcher who can give
you pork chops that haven't been injected into oblivion. If
you buy "Armour's" (sp?) in a package, it will be injected
with water and other stuff, and will be practically
flavorless. In addition, fat gives the flavor, and pork
today is very lean compared with what it used to be.

N.

"Nancy Dooley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Richard's ~JA~) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hoping someone here can help me with what turned out to
> > be bad cooking some time back. In memory of the very
> > good seasoned, flour breaded and then fried pork chops
> > my mother made years ago, I tried to make them. She may
> > have used a tiny bit of garlic, along with just a bit of
> > salt and (more) pepper in the flour coating for bone-in
> > pork chops she pan-fried that were so very good.
> > Starting with 1" thick boneless pork peices and being a
> > rather new and loving-them Penzeys spice blends user, I
> > used just the Bavarian blend with a little salt and
> > pepper in my flour; I medium-fire fried each side (gas
> > stove) in EVO, and they were not only less than the
> > "tasty" I expected, they were much too dry to enjoy.
> >
> > Please, prep and seasoning suggestions here today, and
> > thank you so much!
> >
> > Picky ~JA~
>
> I see other good responses about the method of cooking,
> but one thing you should remember is that pork today
> isn't like pork "years ago." If you can, find a butcher
> who can give you pork chops that haven't been injected
> into oblivion. If you buy "Armour's" (sp?) in a package,
> it will be injected with water and other stuff, and will
> be practically flavorless. In addition, fat gives the
> flavor, and pork today is very lean compared with what it
> used to be.
>
> N.

I agree, most pork is not as good as it could be. It has
nothing to do with injection, in most cases, but simple the
fact that pork has been bred to be lean./ As Nancy says, fat
gives flavor! I can get lovely old-style "fatty: pork from a
local farmer but unfortunately he cuts all the chops thin.
Whole Foods Markets sell Nieman Ranch pork which is much
better that supermarket pork - and more expensive too!

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using. .

Peter Aitken wrote:

> I agree, most pork is not as good as it could be. It has
> nothing to do with injection, in most cases, but simple
> the fact that pork has been bred to be lean./ As Nancy
> says, fat gives flavor! I can get lovely old-style "fatty:
> pork from a local farmer but unfortunately he cuts all the
> chops thin.

I like my chops thin. Perhaps you could get a bone in roast
and cut your own thick chops?

> Whole Foods Markets sell Nieman Ranch pork which is much
> better that supermarket pork - and more expensive too!

Do they sell bone in roasts? I could only find boneless last
time I checked. I can't abide boneless pork.

nancy

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>
> > I agree, most pork is not as good as it could be. It has
> > nothing to do
with
> > injection, in most cases, but simple the fact that pork
> > has been bred to
be
> > lean./ As Nancy says, fat gives flavor! I can get lovely
> > old-style
"fatty:
> > pork from a local farmer but unfortunately he cuts all
> > the chops thin.
>
> I like my chops thin. Perhaps you could get a bone in
> roast and cut your own thick chops?

Good idea - I'll have to ask the farmer once the local
farmers market gets going.

> > Whole Foods Markets sell Nieman Ranch pork which is much
> > better that
supermarket
> > pork - and more expensive too!
>
> Do they sell bone in roasts? I could only find boneless
> last time I checked. I can't abide boneless pork.
>
> nancy

I'm not sure - but they do have nice thick bone-in chops.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

Ditto to everyone who said DON'T use boneless pork! When
they remove the bone, they seem to remove the flavor from
pork and chicken.