help stop ebay bike scammer

rockitj

Oct 15, 2004
This joker has 432 bogus bicycle auctions on ebay. I have already forwarded the item number of a bunch of them to ebay security, but it would help if more people did too. He has every high end bike you can think of listed at buy it now prices of 50%, buy it now is outside of ebays buy it now, free shipping, full warranty, no feedback, joined ebay on 5/20 and claims he is in Belgium and bikes are in London. The clincher is: Seller's payment instructions
PLEASE DO NOT BID ON THE AUCTION. IT IS A FIXED PRICE SALE. THIS IS A STOCK LIMIT OFFER. CONTACT US FOR DETAILS

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ25QQfrtsZ75QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZvelins11108

I've reported these auctions three times in the last day.

I've reported this kind of fraud over 50 times in the last few months. Ususally the auctions get taken down within a few hours. I don't understand why these haven't been taken down yet.

Oh well, I guess I'll go report them again.

rockitj said:
This joker has 432 bogus bicycle auctions on ebay. I have already forwarded the item number of a bunch of them to ebay security, but it would help if more people did too. He has every high end bike you can think of listed at buy it now prices of 50%, buy it now is outside of ebays buy it now, free shipping, full warranty, no feedback, joined ebay on 5/20 and claims he is in Belgium and bikes are in London. The clincher is: Seller's payment instructions
PLEASE DO NOT BID ON THE AUCTION. IT IS A FIXED PRICE SALE. THIS IS A STOCK LIMIT OFFER. CONTACT US FOR DETAILS

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ25QQfrtsZ75QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZvelins11108
I noticed this scam first in January this year. Since then I have reported this scammer 30 or 40 times easily. Auction always gets taken down relatively quickly but I've lost some respect for e-bay's administrative procedures through the process. Seems they should have something in place to catch this scam before the auction gets posted. The ad is very obviously a scam and always virtually identical to the previous ones (albeit under different screen name). I've given up reporting it. It's not my job to clean up e-bay's auctions to that degree if they (e-bay) are not going to put out the effort to do some proactive enforcement of their own (instead of reactive only). I know it's a difficult by-product of the nature of their business, but they seem to take a lazy approach to solving the problem to me.

roadhog said:
I noticed this scam first in January this year. Since then I have reported this scammer 30 or 40 times easily. Auction always gets taken down relatively quickly but I've lost some respect for e-bay's administrative procedures through the process. Seems they should have something in place to catch this scam before the auction gets posted. The ad is very obviously a scam and always virtually identical to the previous ones (albeit under different screen name). I've given up reporting it. It's not my job to clean up e-bay's auctions to that degree if they (e-bay) are not going to put out the effort to do some proactive enforcement of their own (instead of reactive only). I know it's a difficult by-product of the nature of their business, but they seem to take a lazy approach to solving the problem to me.
I wrote ebay about him again today, and they finally have pulled all of his auctions. I don't want to be the ebay cop either and you're absolutely correct, ebay should take steps. If we can recognize bogus bike auctions, they should be able to too, especially ones that ask you to contact them without bidding. You think they would have a filter for that. Oh well, until the phantom bargain bikes strike again! Thanks.